October 31, 2014, 03:55:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MOVIE/DVD REVIEWS  (Read 19873 times)
BC
HOF Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2014, 02:03:29 AM »

Sounds like a goodie.

gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »

cant wait to check this out. think the bourne identity meets taken with a bit of the chaser. Just opened stateside with good reviews. unrelenting and non-stop action.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTaFbJd-74Q&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iTaFbJd-74Q&rel=0</a>
gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »

Hauntingly beautiful.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GsfzhiW5l8c&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GsfzhiW5l8c&rel=0</a>

Big Bad Wolves (hebrew)

- There are few movies released lately that seem to grab my attention such at this one, even fewer that are of Hebrew origin (Israel). This movie impressed me highly with the ultra sharp, high definition and vivid saturated colors that are bright, vibrant, and relevant to the opening. The film has a dark tone to it, but manages to interject a dark sense of humor to add some relief to an otherwise delicate, sensitive topic, and tense viewing experience. Every moment is filled with tension, important scenes accented by a classical music score that only adds to the viewers anxiety giving the experienc a whole new added depth and perception of atmosphere. Great acting, directing, story line, with an incredible coincidental twist of fate at the end.

Though this movie is delicate in nature, violent in perception, it is really not that violent visually. Instead the director mixes in some violent nature to drive the point of vengenful justice across, for the most part it settles on the psychological aspect of things. The total loss of empathy and compassion that comes with an assumption of guilt, of a man who may or may not be guilty, the need for closure, blinded by a hidious perception and the thought of the failure of justice.

The movie opens up with an innocent game of hide and seek, bright, vibrant colors, sharp details, a soft musical score, and a child that goes missing  in a delapated area. A man is identified by one of the children as being in the area at the time, though no hard evidence exists that he had anything to do with it. Some isreal cops track him down and try to beat a confession out of him in a old warehouse, unaware that their actions were being recorded, causing the cop to be fired, the suspect to be let go and the father left with the body of a headless daughter that was left raped, and tortured in a sick, slow methodical way perhaps better left unsaid. The cop sure of the suspects guilt teams up with the father of the latest victim to exert thier own form of torture, the only way the cop can regain his job, and the father find out the burial spot of his daughters head.

The  movie explores  a exhange of  dialogue and psychological aspect between the cop, father and suspect. Leading to the question, what would you do if it was your daughter, who was to blame for the suspect being let go in the first place, was he really guilty, and the blinded hateful need for vengence to bring justice to such a hidieous and obscene act by the two who are so sure of his guilty actions. There are some scenes of torture, breaking fingers, flesh searing from a blowtouch, toenails being ripped off with pliers, but it really is the interaction, the psychological game of cat and mouse that really makes this movie shine. It brings a sense of humanity to the suspect, a question of quilt, a question of going to far. Every moment of this movie is tense, suspensful, and seems to flow with a continous anxiety for the viewer. The father shows a great cold demeanor about him, but has some funny dark humor moments to lighten the mood. The great coincidental twist at the end is also instrumental to the great acting involved by everyone from the cop, to the father, to the suspect.

A great movie from a nation not usually recognized widely in the US, this is a must see, 10 out of 10.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:56:43 PM by gossamer138 » Logged
The one
HOF Member

"The only easy day was yesterday"

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »

RIP to one of Hollyweirds truly talented funny guys. His movies are classics and make me laugh to this day. Animal house, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters and of course Groundhog day.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/-ghostbusters--actor-harold-ramis-dies-at-69-173530161.html

"The Marines are looking for a few good men, unfortunately you ain't it". Clint Eastwood, Heart break ridge.
Rifle76
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »

NEW TMNT Movie Trailer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRipBOQl95o&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wRipBOQl95o&rel=0</a>
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:14:30 PM by Rifle76 » Logged

gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 30, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »

-  tonights the season finale of "the walking dead",   Terminus  ....end of the road?...or end of the line...Salvation?....or C@n!B@! camp? (to prevent spoilers) 

-  Berandal - the sequel to Raid:Redemption opened this week in limited theaters, comes to my area 4/11. cannot wait for this action packed sequel. Deleted scene below to show glimpse of the action.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd_hmT-krK8&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/yd_hmT-krK8&rel=0</a>

-  Finally the sequel to Dod snow aka "Dead Snow" more nazi zombies,  more black comedy, more fun.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n4FoV9iiLmI&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/n4FoV9iiLmI&rel=0</a>
JonRotten00
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

Saw Draft day last night.  A little entertaining but I was hoping for a whole lot more.  I would get specific but don't want to ruin it for anyone who wants to see it.  I'd give it 2 1/2 - 3 stars out of 5.
Rolling_Raider
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »

I also just saw Draft Day. I enjoyed it. A good behind-the-scenes of draft day (I am guessing since I have not been behind-the-scenes of any NFL draft) along with the standard drama sub-plots. Along with Jennifer Garner - which I adore (see my avatar!) playing a woman who knows and loves football, although her role was good - it didn't require any outstanding acting (and that is hard to say since I do adore her but it is what it is). Overall, the writing was good and entertaining. While you kinda felt like you could figure out how it was going and to end - the way it went about had me hold my breath a couple of times, hoping and wondering how it would get to the standard Hollywood ending - by the time it did, I applauded! It will not win any Oscars - but as a sports drama movie - I would give it a solid 3 1/2 to a fuzzy 4 stars out of 5. And will see it again on dvd or a pay cable channel!

Just Repeat, Baby!
gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »

The Dirties

Two friends make a comedy movie about dealing with the bullies "the dirties" that harass them, only one of them is not kidding. Two friends for a school project snipe and secretly record visual and audible snipets of the bullies that harass them and manipulate it into a comedy where they extract revenge with a corny sense of humor and outrageousness, brighlty colored toy guns to deal with the torment that is bestowed upon them on a daily basis as a coping mechanism. When the film is rejected by the teacher in this day in age due to the sensitive material, they make thier own film about extracting revenge, only one is unaware of the others real intention.

Two friends Matt and owen go about documenting the steps and procedure before thier school shooting, only one starts to wonder if the other is taking things to seriously and always seems to be in character. A rift develops between the two and one is left to carry out the plan by himself.

What i really like about this movie is the foreshawdowing and slow descent of Matt, developing an gradually desensatation into his justification and actions. Matt, is well played, and in the beginning both seem like they enjoy thier amatuer movie making to deal with the bullying they endure. Matt is the more dominant one, and over time falls prey to the helplessness of the situation as he sees his best friend become more involved with a popular girl, coming to the realization that maybe he is the outcast. There is a lot of foreshadowing, for example, Owen confronts Matt that he doesnt know who he is, and that he is always pretending to be in character of the movie he makes, a scene that sets up for a touching finale. Matt begins to question himself, asking his mother if she thinks he is crazy, then questions owen from material where he starts to speculate and draw comparisons of that of a socio-path, thinking he may be one, an obivious cry for help and attention as he trys to mimick all the things associated with such behavior as telling people half joking he is going to shoot up the school, check out all copies of "cather in the rye", and wear provactive tshirts that suggest such behavior. in one scene Matt is watching himself being beaten by bullies, editing the material and talking in documentary form, that watching yourself on film almost seems like its not you anymore, hinting at his gradually descent of desentitivity and disillusionment towards himself and others. again setting the stage for the finale with a touching scene between himself and owen.

The acting is well done by matt, who also is the writer and director of the movie, the gradually slow decline shows the effect of bullying that many fall victim to and deal with in different ways. Shot mostly in a handy cam style, the bullying scenes look almost all to real, the emotion fairly strong at times as a result, though never really losing focus that this is a comedy until the final curtain call.

This is a fairly decent film, i think kevin smith had a hand in this in producing and distributing, and if you like to see the effects and a how bullying can break ones spirit, then this is an interesting watch.

Similar films worth watching:
Mean Creek  (2004)
Bully - larry clark ( 2001 )
Bully - documentary ( 2011 )
Elephant- gus van sant   (2001)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/33ar9XXwqfw&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/33ar9XXwqfw&rel=0</a>"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param
Rifle76
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Trailer #2

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dwXFsrp6WBs&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/dwXFsrp6WBs&rel=0</a>

gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Iz3992JoJ4&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2Iz3992JoJ4&rel=0</a>

Love the hammer girl.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/L3syJSkfxhs&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/L3syJSkfxhs&rel=0</a>

Berandal : Raid 2

Day 1 purchase. Its 10 gallons of violence, mayhem and bloodshed in a 5 gallon bucket. Sad part is it could of been 11. Sony forced Gareth Evans for an R rating for distribution after the MPAA ( a big FU ) deemed this too violent (most notabley a scene with hammer girl where she lodges a claw hammer up under the chin and into the mouth of a victim, and proceeds to rip off his lower jaw). Other then a few frames most of the movie remains intact (funny thing is the first one was released unrated). But enough about my censorship rant. This still is an adrenaline, exhilerating 150 minute ride into insane hand to hand combat, car chases, gun fights, knife fights that you will have the pleasure to sit through.

The story picks up mere hours after the original, where Rama must go undercover in a prison to infiltrate the son of a crime boss in order to guaranttee the protection of his wife and child. Unlike the first movie which quickly explains the scenario on the 5 minute car ride over before jumping into a non-stop orgie of sensless violence, this movie shows more maturity, and takes its time to develop the storyline and schematics. It is more godfather and crime family like, stylistic gangsters, where two syndicates are trying to co-exist, and one snotty, selfish son threatens the peace between the two in the name of pride. It takes about 30 minutes before we get our first taste of chaotic prison mayhem filled with slow motion sequences and dramatic visuals of rain, mud, and blood soaked vegence, and of course some of the best fight choreography you will ever seen in film.

This time around the budget, storyline and production is much bigger, as well the fight scenes and breath taking insane car chases. Mad dog makes a welcom reincaranated return as a different character, as well the introduction of two new characters, Hammer girl and bat boy. thier names of course represents their weapons of choice. The film is very stylistic, with the two elder crime bosses dealing with internal turmoil, and tends to pace itself with much more character development then the last. The movie is filled with more musical ambience intensity, complicated family turmoil, and some great camera work and following through 2 crashed window scenes.

The movie does show its bigger budget and production value, through smooth film editing, particularly on fight scenes, music intensity to build the atmosphere, but still maintains some small time indy feel, like the grey filtering, and raw sense of physical violence, and character relate-ability.

Featured is a car chase just as exhilerating and frantic as "Ronin", a close quaters car fight scene more claustophobic and just as violent as in "I saw the devil", a violent knife stabbing scene surpassing "the man from nowhere", and a final fight scene just as bloody and intesne as the first "Raid". Gareth Evans has loaded the bandwagon with a more involved storyline, intensity, and production to deliver a stylistic ganster film with 150 minutes of bone-crushing, violent mayhem to satisfy those like myself who were a bit disappointed in the fact that it was cut to an R rating. If your in the UK then your in luck, they will get the full unrated version. My only gripe and parting words would be that the final scene wasnt as tear jearking or meaningful as the last one, perhaps a reunion with his wife and child whom he was seperated from for more then 2 years while in prison would of been a more emotional and touching ending but everything up until that was chaotic fun.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:59:39 PM by gossamer138 » Logged
Limb Reaper
Franchise Member

FUCK ME

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »

For anyone who cares, I know there's a lot of stupid crap out there right now (Transformers 4) but if you have a chance to go see it in a theater and want to see a damn fine sci-fi flick, check out Snowpiercer starring Chris Evans of Captain America fame.

It's in limited release right now  and likely won't last long in theatrical release. Track it down and see it if you can, you won't be sorry. I think DirecTV and other outlets are streaming it already, but IMO it would be much better on the big screen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFpfJNiUDpY&feature=player_detailpage

When life gives you lemons...just shut up and eat your lemons.
gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »

For anyone who cares, I know there's a lot of stupid crap out there right now (Transformers 4) but if you have a chance to go see it in a theater and want to see a damn fine sci-fi flick, check out Snowpiercer starring Chris Evans of Captain America fame.

It's in limited release right now  and likely won't last long in theatrical release. Track it down and see it if you can, you won't be sorry. I think DirecTV and other outlets are streaming it already, but IMO it would be much better on the big screen.

Dying to see this. Joon-ho bong (the host) is awesome. First American film but is highly praised. About caste structure and rebellion. suppose to be graphically violent. Don't ask what the black protein bars are the poor eat. Lol. Can't wait to see this.

Limb Reaper
Franchise Member

FUCK ME

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »

Dying to see this. Joon-ho bong (the host) is awesome. First American film but is highly praised. About caste structure and rebellion. suppose to be graphically violent. Don't ask what the black protein bars are the poor eat. Lol. Can't wait to see this.

You won't be sorry...it's brilliant. You'll need to turn your brain off a bit though as some of it is a little implausible from an actual science/physics standpoint. And maybe I'm a bit desensitized but I didn't find it graphic in the extreme. Considering some of the movies you've posted about in the past, I'm guessing you'll find the violence here rather tame.

When life gives you lemons...just shut up and eat your lemons.
gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »

Snow Piercer  

-  Ive been dying to see this for awhile now. Having seen previews from over a year ago, (released in S. Korea 2013 aug) I have all but almost forgotten about this until the limited US theatrical release that comes a year late, but thankfully not 20 minutes short (more to follow). First Bong Joon-Ho is a great director, for those in the unknown check out his monster movie (the Host) which happens to star Song Kang-Ho who also stars in this movie (though minimal role) and just about every other Korean movie i've seen and reviewed here (his best works the host and the good, the bad, the weird, as well Sympathy of Lady Vengence, Sympathy for Mr. Vengence, thirst, and JSA). Second congrats to Bong Joon-Ho who opted not to  have this in wide release because the distributor (havery weinstein) demanded 20 minutes be cut before doing so. Finally it didnt take me to the opening credits to where i saw Park Chan Wook's name (probabely the most prolific director today)  as the producer that i knew i was going to like this.

The movie opens with some background of a global warming procedure gone wrong, where to much of a reversal chemical was released into the atmosphere to reverse the trend and sent mother earth into a deep freeze (think the day after tomorrow). Much as with society the train is divided into a caste structure, the poor, freeloading, people who ride in the back of the train (think back of the bus, the slums etc), the middle working class who slave away at the meaningless tasks and jobs in the middle of the train to all satisify the rich and upper class who look down on all, dining on wine and eating steak at their expense. The train is driven by perpetual motion, continuing to circle the earth once a year in a self-sustaining , closed enviroment.The poor lower class workers in the back of the train prepare to revolt, to seize the engine, cab by cab with what ever force and sacrifice deemed neccesary against the rich and elite (think britian's punk movement of the 70s)

The beauty of the train lies in its mini enviromental structures. In the back, lies the slums, dark, cramp, homeless type shelters where people are cramped in, living on rationalized protein bars, in windowless cabs and whos only sole purpose is to have thier children to be abucted for the greater good of the train's sustainability. The area is dark, with a grey dismal filtering to represent the depression. As we progress to the front the lighting and coloring as well livelyhood of the cars increase, from the mindless trolling of the middle class ( at least they have windows,) to the front of the train where such cabs have lush rainforest enviroments, an aquarium walk-through, complete with sushi bar of course, nightclub cars, swimming pools, high class dining and dancing and even a compartment for school children to brain wash them with the praise of how Wilford's train in motion is responsible for keeping them alive and that by leaving the train they will die, as life is only sustainable within the train.

The movies tone, per the conductor wilford, is to know your place in society, to which in such a closed enviroment (as with earth) there is still a need for balance, which brings us to the revolts. BEGIN SPOILER . Revolts were staged in order to thin out the population of the train to maintain sustainability. As with earth there is only so much room, so they were planned as a better part of the good instead of just killing people off, this way it gave the poor people in the back reason and hope to survive, and have train babies, which were later abuducted into child slavery to maintain the trains forward progress after several key parts became broken. The rich and elite were not gonna give up thier babies and they didnt want to let the poor lower class know that they were relied upon. END SPOILER

i like the grey filtering for the slums and the majestic nature of bright colors and livelyhood of the rich cars that exemplifies the varying degrees between the two. Park chan wook is known for his scenes of bright white purified backgrounds with simple images (stoker, oldboy) which follows suit here in the final scene. I like the fact that our hero, played by chris evans, is an anti-hero with a dark history, and is not perfect and who after 17 years riding in the back of the trains sees the evil necessity of balance by Wilford played by Ed Harris whos role was also much to short. That there are disparities and troubles, for all rich and poor. I also liked the infra-red fight scene in the tunnel which i thought was really cool. All in all this was a fight for respect by the lower class and they way they are treated, the haves vs the have nots. A need to control, a need to balance, left in the hands of the rich, the few, the elite.

related films:
The Host (directed by Bong Joon-Ho) look for the sequel soon
The Good , the bad , the Weird (Song Kang-ho) another great train scene filled with vibrant compartments

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:21:49 PM by gossamer138 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: