RaidersForum.net

Oakland Raiders Fan Community - RaiderForum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Josh Jacobs stretches fully guaranteed rookie deals to 24th pick  (Read 130 times)

805raiderslo

• Administrator
  • HOF Member

Whenever someone says that the NFL doesn’t have fully-guaranteed contracts, remember that indeed the NFL does, at the top of each draft. In recent years, the range of fully-guaranteed contracts for first-round draft picks has grown.

NFL Media reports that the contract given by the Raiders to first-round running back Josh Jacobs has four fully-guaranteed years. The deal expands the number of fully-guaranteed first-round rookie contracts to 24.

As PFT explained when a report emerged from Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com that Jacobs could be a training-camp holdout, the disagreement (if any) likely centered on whether Jacobs would get a fully-guaranteed deal or, similar to the 24th pick a year ago, have roughly $200,000 or so in non-guaranteed fourth-year salary.

Of course, the organization now claims, via Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, that there was no concern Jacobs would miss time, which is true if the organization had planned all along to blink on the issue of whether the contract will be fully guaranteed.

Four years ago, only the first 19 players taken received fully-guaranteed contracts, with Eagles receiver Nelson Agholor the first (at No. 2) to have only $1.1 million of his $1.7 million fourth-year pay not fully guaranteed. Now, the rubber band has been stretched all the way to No. 24 — and the question for next year becomes whether that will continue through 25, 26, and perhaps eventually all the way to the end of the first round.

It’s an easy argument for the agents to make; as the number of players taken in round one not getting fully-guaranteed contracts shrinks, the gap between the full salary and the fully-guaranteed salary for the remainder first-round picks will shrink, too. Ultimately, it’s not a big issue for the teams to just fully guaratee the whole deal. Also, given that first-round picks can be kept for a fifth year (unlike players taken in other rounds), it seems only fair that the first four years for all first-rounders be fully guaranteed.

With Josh Jacobs getting a fully-guaranteed contract, the players are now officially 75 percent of the way to making it happen.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/josh-jacobs-stretches-fully-guaranteed-rookie-deal-to-24th-pick/

Damage Inc.

• Franchise Member
  • I will cut you!!
Re: Josh Jacobs stretches fully guaranteed rookie deals to 24th pick
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:54:54 AM »

Amazing these 21 year old kids get 4 years of guaranteed salary.  Even second round guys, if they play their cards correctly and invest instead of blow it all, can retire for life and never have to work a real job.
I guess I should come up with a new sig now...

USMC2141

• Franchise Member
  • OWNER
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »

If only I had been born the spawn of elite athletes! My father was.  Mom, not so much.  So I will continue putting in 50+ hours a week, till retirement, whatever age that will be by then.  70? 
"We would rather be feared than respected." - Al Davis

Damage Inc.

• Franchise Member
  • I will cut you!!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »

If only I had been born the spawn of elite athletes! My father was.  Mom, not so much.  So I will continue putting in 50+ hours a week, till retirement, whatever age that will be by then.  70? 
Ouch. Hits a bit too close to home.  Work until death.

TIBERIUS

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »

If only I had been born the spawn of elite athletes! My father was.  Mom, not so much. So I will continue putting in 50+ hours a week, till retirement, whatever age that will be by then.  70?

It's a very big club bra......

!welcome

"We were the only team in pro football whose team picture showed both a front and side view. " #12 -On the Oakland Raiders outlaw image.

az raider

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »

Yeah, my golden parachute is made outta lead
if you're looking for sympathy you'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis

ElevatorRaidersfanPA

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 04:01:13 AM »

If only I had been born the spawn of elite athletes! My father was.  Mom, not so much. So I will continue putting in 50+ hours a week, till retirement, whatever age that will be by then.  70?

It's a very big club bra......

!welcome
hahahaha I see we all have the work.till u die retirement plan roflol
"Fuck The Tuck Rule"  Still bitter and proud!

Limb Reaper

• Administrator
  • Franchise Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »

Is that such a bad thing?
Retirement is overrated.
I think the main goal should be to not get stuck doing work you hate.
If I'm still able to work at 70, I'll consider it a blessing. Means I can still do other stuff too.

Damage Inc.

• Franchise Member
  • I will cut you!!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »

Is that such a bad thing?
Retirement is overrated.
I think the main goal should be to not get stuck doing work you hate.
If I'm still able to work at 70, I'll consider it a blessing. Means I can still do other stuff too.
A good point; I'm more referring to forgetting to live life at the same time as working til death.  That's most critical IMO

TIBERIUS

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »

I'm fucking old school.....

Been werkin since I was 15. I'm now 63 going in for spine surgery in a few weeks.

After my 6 week rehab I'm tapping out.

I want to enjoy about a decade doing shit I want. I'm not asking alot.  ;D

I carry 0 debt load and have enough to live a less than glamorous lifestyle.

Fortunately for me I can afford moving to Florida and do nothing more than swim, and hang out at my smoke pit.  !woot

Did I mention Florida is a  :reefer state?

They can keep their over priced pain meds...... :belch

Reap, God bless ya bra. It's whatever we want to do.

:cheers

"We were the only team in pro football whose team picture showed both a front and side view. " #12 -On the Oakland Raiders outlaw image.

USMC2141

• Franchise Member
  • OWNER
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »

Sounds like you got it figured out Tibs.  God bless you, bro.  And much luck with the spinal surgery, too. 
"We would rather be feared than respected." - Al Davis

TIBERIUS

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »

Sounds like you got it figured out Tibs.  God bless you, bro.  And much luck with the spinal surgery, too.

Thank you sir.

ElevatorRaidersfanPA

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 06:44:05 PM »

Thank you sir.

yeah man live it up.  Hope your surgery goes well.
"Fuck The Tuck Rule"  Still bitter and proud!

az raider

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 12:02:40 AM »

Sorry about the surgery Tibs. We’re all pulling for you.

And yes, do whatever you have to do to stay away from the meds.

I had back problems for a while and the doctors were more than happy to load me up on that poison.

Stick with the green stuff
if you're looking for sympathy you'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.