RaidersForum.net

Oakland Raiders Fan Community - RaiderForum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ranking the Raiders' top five needs heading into free agency, NFL Draft  (Read 301 times)

TIBERIUS

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU

The Raiders season stunk. It was a throw away, in essence, used to acquire the NFL draft picks and salary cap flexibility to remake the roster as Jon Gruden sees fit.

Now is that time. The Raiders have roughly $78 million in cap space and 10 NFL draft picks, including four in the top 35 selections.

The Raiders are armed well to reload in a pivotal offseason where we could and should see significant roster turnover. Let’s rank the Raiders’ top five needs heading toward the 2019 season:

1. Edge rusher

The Raiders didn’t generate much pressure on the quarterback, especially from the flanks. Arden Key and Frostee Rucker were miscast as three-down players, forced into some roles that played away from their strengths.

They were forced into steady snaps after Khalil Mack got traded and a frustrated Bruce Irvin got cut, eliminating established threats off the edge.

The Raiders have to start over atop the depth chart. They could use more than one new impact edge rusher, with Key returning as the situational pass rusher he was expected to be as a rookie.

There’s enough salary cap space to sign someone in a loaded free-agent class that gets away from his team – several, including Jadeveon Clowney and Frank Clark, should re-sign with their current clubs – who can get a raise to lead the defense and provide some heat. Then the Raiders should still use their No. 4 overall pick on another edge rusher.

That could remake the defensive front, with Key in reserve and 2018 draftees Maurice Hurst and P.J. Hall helping rush from the inside.

2. Receiver

Jordy Nelson is coming back in 2019. The Raiders should build a whole new position group around him. Nelson is a solid leader and a smart pass catcher who can still produce, but he doesn’t have the wheels to scare opponents anymore.

Seth Roberts is likely gone, Martavis Bryant is suspended again and Brandon LaFell won’t be back after suffering an Achilles tear. Marcell Ateman will remain, but needs more time to develop in a much smaller role.

The free-agent class is thin outside Golden Tate and a few others, but a free agent could still help the group and add experience. The Raiders should use a first-round pick on a receiver, and maybe another selection later in the draft to remake the group. Derek Carr needs dynamic threats, and didn’t have many after Amari Cooper was traded to Dallas near midseason.

3. Middle linebacker

The Raiders started the 2018 season with Marquel Lee in the middle spot, but moved him to the strong side as the year progressed. Jason Cabinda and Nick Morrow platooned at that spot after the Lee switch and were serviceable young players, but a new and dynamic presence is needed on the inside next to returning weakside linebacker Tahir Whitehead.

The Raiders haven’t devoted significant resources to this, but now might be the time to do so. A veteran makes the most sense, which would allow Cabinda and Morrow to continue developing underneath a more established player.

That guy must cover well if playing all three downs is required. Philadelphia’s Jordan Hicks seems like an affordable fit there.

4. Safety

Karl Joseph sure looked like the answer at strong safety and should be expected back next season, but his running mate is up in the air. Marcus Gilchrist was just okay as a one-year rental and Reggie Nelson won’t return, leaving the Raiders lacking at the free safety spot. Erik Harris had some good moments there, but could be a strong No. 3 who can play extensive snaps in a pinch.

There are plenty of good free agents and a few early-to-mid-round draft picks who could be the ballhawk an otherwise strong secondary could use roaming in the back.
5. Running back

Marshawn Lynch proved to be as physical and aggressive as ever early in the 2018 season, before a groin pull ended it after six weeks. Lynch’s contract expired and there’s no telling what he’ll do in 2019, though it sure seems unlikely he would come back unless the Raiders played within the Oakland city limits.

Doug Martin finished strong after Lynch got hurt, but he’ll be 30 next season and there could be some questions about whether he could stand up to a full season as a feature back. Jalen Richard is expected back in restricted free agency and Chris Warren III will be ready to go after a rookie year spent on IR.

The Raiders could and probably should look for a young runner in the draft who can compete for or grow into a large role on first and second down. There’s always a possibility Le’Veon Bell could end up with the Raiders, but it seems are more likely they'll add versatile depth to the position group.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/ranking-raiders-top-five-needs-heading-free-agency-nfl-draft

"We were the only team in pro football whose team picture showed both a front and side view. " #12 -On the Oakland Raiders outlaw image.

TIBERIUS

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
Re: Ranking the Raiders' top five needs heading into free agency, NFL Draft
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »

“There is already rampant speculation about where Foles will end up,” Freeman reported. “One scout believes Raiders coach Jon Gruden will use some of the booty from the Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper trades (two first-rounders for Mack and one for Cooper) to make the Eagles an offer they can’t refuse.”

"We were the only team in pro football whose team picture showed both a front and side view. " #12 -On the Oakland Raiders outlaw image.

nutmg1

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:32:04 PM »

“There is already rampant speculation about where Foles will end up,” Freeman reported. “One scout believes Raiders coach Jon Gruden will use some of the booty from the Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper trades (two first-rounders for Mack and one for Cooper) to make the Eagles an offer they can’t refuse.”

That "Scout" should be fired for being a dumb ass.

ghostmech

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »

So who does the "scout" work for? The Raiders? The Eagles?  Some other team?  This isn't worth reading and it could be (probably is) the imagination of the blogger.

varaider

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »

varaider

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »

So who does the "scout" work for? The Raiders? The Eagles?  Some other team?  This isn't worth reading and it could be (probably is) the imagination of the blogger.

The guy signed Peterman... anything is possible with a wildcard like Gruden... That's what I've been trying to say all along... With no checks and balances, we could see some crazy, terrible moves... or we could see some outstanding ones...  But based on his personnel history, I wouldn't get too excited...

Earl

• Franchise Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »

Singing - Once, twice, three times a Hater.

varaider

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »

Singing - Once, twice, three times a Hater.

ghostmech

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »

The guy signed Peterman... anything is possible with a wildcard like Gruden... That's what I've been trying to say all along... With no checks and balances, we could see some crazy, terrible moves... or we could see some outstanding ones...  But based on his personnel history, I wouldn't get too excited...

o;) I mean the same thing nearly every post... "Gruden sucks. Gruden is a fuck up. It's all Gruden's fault. I would say I hate Gruden, but don't want others to call me out as a hater so I'll just trash him in every other way and claim I'm not." 

BTW, I'm paraphrasing, but if I don't say it, you will call me out as a liar 'cause you never said those exact words, yet the sentiment is clear to everyone.

varaider

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »

o;) I mean the same thing nearly every post... "Gruden sucks. Gruden is a fuck up. It's all Gruden's fault. I would say I hate Gruden, but don't want others to call me out as a hater so I'll just trash him in every other way and claim I'm not." 

BTW, I'm paraphrasing, but if I don't say it, you will call me out as a liar 'cause you never said those exact words, yet the sentiment is clear to everyone.

No, you just whine like a bitch everytime I post something that isn't sucking Gruden off...  Or praising him...

I clearly said he can blow it, OR he can nail it (guess you missed that part)... and all we can go on is his personnel history, which isn't great...  That's not hate, that's the fucking truth...

Did he not sign Peterman?  Is Peterman not the absolute worst QB around right now? 

If you can't accept the truth about your Man Crush, perhaps you should take a break from the forum... News Flash... There isn't much praise out there for a 4-12 HC, in the midst of a rebuild brother... relax... Everything ain't "hate"... just because you don't like what you hear...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:41:23 PM by varaider »

RaiderInDenver

• HOF Member
  • "BUTTHEAD I Am"
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »

It’s going to be hard rooting for this to happen V. Especially if Gruden proves you wrong.

You might have a terrible 10 years if this team gets good;)

If we really suck. It might be the best 10 years of you life...

Signiture By: 9erHater

CB

• Franchise Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 03:56:48 PM »

Isn't Foles scheduled to be a FA? Why trade for a guy entering free agency?

Personally, I think Foles is nuts if he leaves Philly. He's a Saint in that town and Wentz hasn't exactly proved his durability so far in his career.
Raider fan in lamb land

I am not responsible for anyone that understands what VA says.

varaider

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »

Isn't Foles scheduled to be a FA? Why trade for a guy entering free agency?

Personally, I think Foles is nuts if he leaves Philly. He's a Saint in that town and Wentz hasn't exactly proved his durability so far in his career.

He's "technically" under contract for 2019... but the Eagles hold an option...

"Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl...  Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus"

Technically, he's under contract until 2021...

"2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year"...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-9898/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:08:16 PM by varaider »

ghostmech

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »

No, you just whine like a bitch everytime I post something that isn't sucking Gruden off...  Or praising him...

I clearly said he can blow it, OR he can nail it (guess you missed that part)... and all we can go on is his personnel history, which isn't great...  That's not hate, that's the fucking truth...

Did he not sign Peterman?  Is Peterman not the absolute worst QB around right now? 

If you can't accept the truth about your Man Crush, perhaps you should take a break from the forum... News Flash... There isn't much praise out there for a 4-12 HC, in the midst of a rebuild brother... relax... Everything ain't "hate"... just because you don't like what you hear...

I see... now I whine like bitch...  Sounds like you're the bitch, whining about Gruden every chance you get.

BTW, you are completely wrong about my "man crush"  I really have a man crush on you... my "Big ol' Teddy Bear"

;D

varaider

• HOF Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »

It’s going to be hard rooting for this to happen V. Especially if Gruden proves you wrong.

You might have a terrible 10 years if this team gets good;)

If we really suck. It might be the best 10 years of you life...

Rooting for what to happen?

I'm on board, I'm just not blindly following... I need to see an actual vision or plan in motion before I can do that.  I was the same way with RM when he was hired... Once I saw the plan/strategy, I was all in...

People keep CRYING because I keep talking "negatively" (in their eyes) about Gruden... Tell me... WHAT HAS HE GIVEN US to talk positively, other than a 4-12 football team... and draft picks???  Vegas?  That was Davis and Badain... SO what exactly has Gruden given us to be "excited" about?  Mike Mayock?  What?  Tell me!

So I'm a "hater" because because I'm waiting for results?  We have an HC that was out of the game for 10 years trying to be a "GM"... and we got a "GM" with literally zero experience deferring to a guy who has literally no GM experience... This shit is a crap shoot at best, EVERYTHING in in the air...  But I'm the bad guy, because I don't think it's AUTOMATIC SUCCESS, like YOU guys do?  Blah...

NEWS FLASH... I've never said he/we WON'T succeed... and I've ONLY focused on his past moves (in Tampa) and his current moves here...   I've said he hasn't shown me (IMO, personally, whatever you wanna call it) anything YET to make me buy ALL IN, like you guys...

You guys are all in JUST because its "Chucky"... lol... That's it...  Like really... THAT'S IT?

Sorry, I need a little more than that...   The Gruden name doesn't mean as much to me, as it does to you "older" guys... sorry... maybe that's what it is... The furthest "Chucky" ever took us was to the tuck rule game... And the way you guys talk, that puts him above Madden or Flores?  And we should all bow in his presence... Nah... give me some WINS and you'll see a happier me...

It was ok for all you guys to be doom & gloom the last 6 years, tho... while I was the only positive one... Guys crying broken record, after 1 season... while I watched ya'll bitch, cry and moan for the last 6... GTFOH, lol... Like I said, the double standard is TOO real here...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:49:36 PM by varaider »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.