RaidersForum.net

Oakland Raiders Fan Community - RaiderForum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: RAIDERS V DOLPHINS GAME THREAD  (Read 1223 times)

TIBERIUS

• HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
    • View Profile
RAIDERS V DOLPHINS GAME THREAD
« on: September 21, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »

Five things learned at Raiders practice as they get ready to play the Dolphins

Five things we learned Thursday as the Raiders got in their heaviest day of practice in preparation to visit the Miami Dolphins:
If the Raiders can’t sack up, how much does it matter?

Putting pressure on the quarterback is topic 1-A around the Raiders, and defensive coordinator Paul Guenther floated the idea that sacks aren’t the be-all or end-all when it comes to assessing a unit’s worth.

“Obviously, you’d like to have sacks, but if you really look at the statistics year in and year out, the teams that are up there in sacks aren’t necessarily playoff teams,” Guenther said. “A lot of times, they’re not.”

Last season, the top four teams in sacks were Pittsburgh (56), Jacksonville (55), Carolina (50) and the L.A. Rams (48). All made the playoffs. But in 2016, the top three were Arizona (48), Carolina (47) and Denver (42, tied with Seattle). Only the Seahawks made it.

All of the top four in 2015 — Denver, New England, Pittsburgh and Kansas City — were in the postseason. But it was one of four in 2014 and two of four in 2014. That’s eight teams out of 20 over a five-year span that were in the top four in sacks but didn’t make the playoffs.

Guenther’s defenses as coordinator in Cincinnati finished tied for 11th, 19th, 10th and 32nd in sacks.

Rest of story and video here:

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/oakland-raiders/article218772930.html#storylink=cpy

"We were the only team in pro football whose team picture showed both a front and side view. " #12 -On the Oakland Raiders outlaw image.

mbraiders

• Franchise Member
    • View Profile
Re: RAIDERS V DOLPHINS GAME THREAD
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »

Honestly, the defense hasn't been terrible this year. We held the Rams prolific offense to just 13 points thru 3 qtrs. They didn't start blowing it open until Carr threw 2 very poor ints. We got our first int in week 2 when it took us until week 12 last year.We may not look very sexy without a sack count, but, so far, we are doing enough. I think it will actually get better as the season progresses and the young guys get more experienced.

B.C.RAIDERS4life

• All Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:00:55 AM »

I missed the last drive against Denver as my pvr quit so I didn't see how we went from having the ball inside of 2 and no points then losing to a FG.

Our D has been ok..not really huge plays or embarrassing type plays being made which is good, in time when the new DT get use to the system we have potential.

Carr was my worry after the bonehead passes in week 1 but he came out slinging against the donkey's..that bullet to Seth was so sick, why can't he let it rip like that more often.  When I watched Baker the other night he let's it go and more often then not you can make plays as a gun slinger. Carr is so concerned of playing Grudens Offence perfect it looks like he is holding back and over thinking instead of gunning it. I have not seen a deep ball in 2 games? tell me why...well now we have Bryant back so I expect one on Sunday. 

We need this win boys

SoCal_Mike

• Franchise Member
  • Pride and poise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »

Must win game. I don't think Miami's D is as good as the ones we've faced the last two weeks, need to put up 30+ points.

CB

• Franchise Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »

I don't know that Miami can hang in a shoot out. If our offense can play well and put up 25 or more, I think we'll be good.
Raider fan in lamb land

I am not responsible for anyone that understands what VA says.

Raidersmojo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »

Must win game. I don't think Miami's D is as good as the ones we've faced the last two weeks, need to put up 30+ points.

Agreed with this 100%

805raiderslo

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »

Agreed with this 100%
THIS

The one

• HOF Member
  • "The only easy day was yesterday"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 11:14:07 PM »

Out of town tomorrow. You dudes got this.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:16:23 PM by The one »
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete.”   ? Sun Tzu, The Art of War

USMC2141

• Franchise Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »

Carr better air it out against the ‘fins, their run D is stout.  Can we get aggressive now, Gruden?  For Al’s sake, it’s time already!
 [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/i
"We would rather be feared than respected." - Al Davis

Darth Raider

• Veteran Member
  • I dont trust sane people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »

We're last in the league in YPC and Miami is 11th in running I think. 

Doesnt bode well.
If me and King Kong went into an alley, only one of us would come out. And it wouldn't be the monkey.

USMC2141

• Franchise Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 11:58:00 PM »

Exactly.  I just don’t know if Gru believes in certain offensive styles.  I think he may value run-pass balance above all.  Not to say that I don’t, or that it’s not a valid offensive principle.  I just hope we take the common sense approach and attack where they’re weak.  Sun- Tzu, baby!
"We would rather be feared than respected." - Al Davis

TIBERIUS

• HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »

Date: Sunday, September 23
Time: 10:00 a.m. PT
Venue: Hard Rock Stadium
TV Info: CBS

Radio: KCBS-740 AM (Bay Area), 102.7 The Coyote & 720 AM (Las Vegas), La Z 1490-AM/107.5-FM (Spanish Broadcast), NFL Game Pass
Live Stream: NFL Sunday Ticket or Fubo TV

"We were the only team in pro football whose team picture showed both a front and side view. " #12 -On the Oakland Raiders outlaw image.

TIBERIUS

• HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 12:11:04 AM »

5 things to watch in Week 3, including Cooper’s homecoming

By Matt Schneidman

Bay Area News Group

September 22, 2018 04:36 PM

The Raiders fly to Miami for a 10 a.m. PST kickoff with the Dolphins on Sunday, as the silver and black looks to avoid its first 0-3 start since Derek Carr’s rookie season in 2014.

The Dolphins, on the other hand, have won their first two games against the Titans and Jets. The Raiders beat the Dolphins in a Week 9 matchup in Miami last season, 27-24.

The early kickoff in Miami has been a tricky one for the Raiders, who are 1-6 in early starts in South Beach since 1986.

Here are five things to watch in Sunday’s game.

Can Marshawn Lynch find the end zone again (which he did twice in Miami last season)?

The Raiders’ starting running back has rushed for a touchdown in each of the first two games, a 10-yard run on the season’s opening drive against the Rams and a 1-yard score in the second quarter against the Broncos. Lynch has run 29 times for 106 yards this season, good for 3.7 yards per carry.

Last season in Miami, Lynch returned from a one-game suspension and found the end zone twice in a three-point win, once from 22 yards and once from 3 yards. After storming onto the field to interject in a scrum against the Chiefs in Week 7, Lynch missed Week 8 against the Bills and returned with vengeance against the Dolphins. His two-score game on Sunday Night Football in Week 9 jumpstarted a run where he scored five touchdowns in five games.

This season, Lynch is running with the same purpose, possibly even more speed and force, as he looks to help the Raiders get on the board with more touchdowns in Miami. And since Lynch himself doesn’t talk to the media, let one of his veteran offensive lineman evaluate his first two weeks instead.

“He’s doing good. We’ve got to help him out a lot more, got to be more consistent,” right tackle Donald Penn said. “We’ve got that roller coaster thing going like we have in the past. Got to be more consistent. He’s looking real good, doing a lot of real good things for us. Our main thing is to get him to the second level. If he gets to the second level, I’ll bet on him against anybody at the second level.”

Another big day for Amari Cooper in his homecoming?

Cooper reaped the benefits of some precise route-running and Carr’s pinpoint accuracy in Denver, enjoying a 10-catch, 116-yard bounce-back performance after a one-catch, 9-yard dud in Week 1.

Cooper grew up in Miami watching the Dolphins, and the Raiders wouldn’t mind a second straight game like last week’s from their best receiver even if it comes at the expense of his childhood favorite team. Last season in South Beach, Cooper caught four passes on nine targets for 58 yards. Last Sunday he caught all 10 of his targets.

“I just remember growing up and watching Dolphins games on Thanksgiving and stuff like that with the family, having a good time,” Cooper said. “I can remember last year I had to give out a lot of tickets. (Raiders cornerback and Miami native) Johnny (Holton) gave out a hundred so I’m not going to complain about my number.”

Cooper said this week his communication with Carr has improved, which clearly showed in their perfect connection against the Broncos. Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard told the Miami Herald he’ll following Cooper all game. Some stats on Howard, from Pro Football Focus’ Austin Gayle: “Howard has allowed a 28.2 passer rating when targeted through two games, ranking fifth among qualifiers. He’s also allowed just three receptions (nine targets) for 82 yards and no touchdowns while logging an interception. He’s allowed receptions of 17, 21 and 44 yards into his coverage.”

So after a first two weeks against the vaunted Rams and Broncos secondaries, it might not be much easier for Cooper on Sunday.

Will the Raiders get more out of Bruce Irvin?

On Monday, Gruden said he needs more out of his captain and defensive end. It wasn’t a direct shot at Irvin, more so a wish for Irvin’s effort to translate into more results.

The veteran tallied a strip-sack of Jared Goff in Week 1, but he took a step back in Week 2 with a costly unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and what looked like fatigue at the end of the game when Denver wore the Raiders down.

Irvin has plenty more on his plate after the Raiders traded Khalil Mack, the guy who was supposed to free up space for Irvin to rush the quarterback. Now Irvin is the prime target for opposing offensive lines, and we’ll see if he can rise to the occasion.

“Well first of all he can’t get penalties on third down. In a critical game like that, you can’t have those kinds of penalties,” Raiders defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said when asked what he wants to see from Irvin. “Obviously, as the game wore on, it was kind of hard to sub some of the guys at the end because they’re on a one-minute drill. I always say our best player has to play great all the time. He’s one of them and he has to play great for us to be successful all the time.”

How many snaps will Karl Joseph see?

Are we seeing the deterioration of another Reggie McKenzie draft pick with the 2016 first-rounder?

Coaches insist otherwise, but Joseph has played only 10 defensive snaps through two games, seven against the Rams after a Marcus Gilchrist injury and three against the Broncos. Gilchrist has been solid and so too has Erik Harris, and coaches continue to favor 35-year-old Reggie Nelson in the secondary.

That leaves Joseph on the outside looking in, at least for now, and time will tell if he seizes his starting safety role of years past or falls by the wayside like a handful of other high McKenzie picks.

“I just think Karl needs to keep working on what he’s doing. Keep progressing in practice, like I told him,” Guenther said. “Obviously, I have talked with him a bunch about those things. He just has to keep progressing. You get in those games where it is hot. You’re going to expel some guys and I think he’s going to have his chance this Sunday.”

Can the Raiders close out a game for once?

I know, I know, “for once” is a bit harsh since the Raiders are only two games into the season.

But both games have featured Oakland halftime leads, a 13-10 advantage against the Rams and a 12-0 lead against the Broncos. As we all know, neither result held, and the Raiders are left to lament what could have been if they hadn’t flopped in the second half.

Cornerback Rashaan Melvin said finishing games is just a matter of getting off the field on third down, something the Raiders clearly didn’t do well enough against the Broncos. So if the Raiders jump out to an early lead against the Dolphins, will the third time be the charm when it comes to holding off a comeback?

“Just finishing the games. I think we’ve done, really, a lot of good things,” Carr said. “We’ve been able to get first downs, move the ball, keep the clock running, scoring points. Obviously, I think we could score more touchdowns rather than field goals. Obviously, that would help.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/oakland-raiders/article218874875.html#storylink=cpy

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:15:57 AM by TIBERIUS »

TIBERIUS

• HOF Member
  • FUCK YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 01:14:04 AM »

GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRE GAME ASS KICKING KICKOFF TAIL GATE.

BRING IT.

RAIDER DA FUCK UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOOC2Wf1rQ

RaiderinKorea

• Pro Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 07:05:59 AM »

Will be getting up at 0200 Monday morning for this game, better be worth it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.