October 22, 2014, 02:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DENVER BRONCOS NEWS  (Read 19006 times)
805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »

The Denver Broncos have turned to a familiar face to fill their sudden vacancy at center.

The Broncos agreed to terms with Koppen on Thursday, the team announced. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports it's a one-year contract, per a source close to the player.

Koppen popped back on Denver's radar after J.D. Walton underwent additional surgery on his troublesome ankle last week. Koppen replaced Walton in October and started 12 games, just as Peyton Manning and the Broncos hit their stride on offense.

Koppen should be prepared for a full season of duty. The Broncos still are holding out hope that Walton will return by November, but that is believed to be a best-case scenario at this time. It's possible Walton won't play a down in 2013.

Koppen, 34, isn't a dominant player by any stretch (he graded out 22nd among centers last season, according to Pro Football Focus), but the Broncos are fortunate he was on the market as a fallback option.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213626/article/dan-koppen-returns-to-denver-broncos-to-play-center

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »

It was the day before Halloween and compelling was hardly the word of the day in the Mile High City.

Pathetic, perhaps. Compelling? Not even close.

On a breathtaking fall day, the only brilliance shining on the Rocky Mountains was coming from the skies. The Denver Broncos? They looked like a team at a crossroads.

The Tim Tebow era looked ready to be scrapped. Tebow was simply awful, failing miserably in a pro-style attack. The Broncos were completely stymied, 45-10, by the Detroit Lions.

It was one of the most lackluster, unprofessional offensive performances I’ve ever witnessed.

Team employees were quietly going crazy, watching the ineptitude of Tebow. Teammates walked by Tebow in the locker room without making eye contact after the game. I talked to a prominent Denver player who said he didn’t know how long the team’s brass could justify keeping Tebow on the field.

He just wasn’t a pro-style quarterback.

Then a crazy thing happened. The Broncos came back to work the next day and accepted that Tebow wasn’t a pro-style quarterback, but, in the short term, at least, he could still help the team. In a unprecedented move, Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy went away from everything he knew as an NFL coach. He kicked the traditional offensive scheme aside and used the college option that Tebow used to win a Heisman Trophy and become one of the most successful quarterbacks of all time. I recently talked to an NFL head coach who said what McCoy, now the head coach in San Diego, did was perhaps the most remarkable coaching job he’s ever seen in the league.

Tebow-mania overtook the NFL.

Tebow and the Broncos, who were 2-5 at the time of the scheme swap, became one of the most talked-about teams in the NFL. The Broncos were suddenly fodder for countless ESPN platforms and sports talk radio across the country.

What would Tebow do next?

It was rarely pretty and the purists were offended. But Tebow got it done even though his passes often had the accuracy of a high school sophomore under center for the first time.

• Enlarge
AP Photo/Kevin Terrell
"Tebowing" after his 80-yard, game-winning touchdown pass in overtime against the Steelers.
But Tebow Magic just worked. His teammates bought in.

Tebow-mania got serious on a Thursday night in late November when the Broncos came back to beat the Jets.

It was a classic 2011 Tim Tebow victory.

He was awful for much of the game and the Denver offense was mostly stymied. But then the clock started to wane and Tebow took over. His passes were starting to connect. His legs were getting first downs. After a nearly full game of malaise, Tebow led a 95-yard, 12-play drive, culminating in a wild 20-yard touchdown run by Tebow that gave Denver a 17-13 win.

After the game, I sought out Denver receiver Eric Decker for some insight on how Tebow could just turn it on. He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and giggled.

“A miracle,” Decker said. “Greatness.”

OK. Whatever. I couldn’t think of a better explanation. But the occurrences were just beginning.

As Tebow-mania took over the NFL, my assignments as the AFC West blogger for ESPN.com usually took me to where Tebow and the Broncos were playing. I’d get to the point where I’d sit in the press box and just wait for Tebow to come alive.

It was happening every week. A week after the New York win, the Broncos came back and won in overtime in San Diego. Then they went to Minnesota and won with a late field goal.

Then, in perhaps the most absurd comeback of them all, the Broncos scored all 13 of their points late in regulation and in overtime against Chicago. Again, Tebow was awful until he had to be great. It was his sixth comeback win in the fourth quarter or in overtime in his first 11 NFL starts.

I’ll never forget watching then-Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo staring in stunned silence for several minutes after the game. Someone came up to console him. "The kid got hot," was all Angelo was able to say.

Tebow-mania was derailed in the final three weeks as Tebow and the Broncos cooled down and lost their three final games. Still, Denver won the division at 8-8 and TebowMania had one last comeback to complete.

There were murmurs that the Broncos would use Brady Quinn instead of Tebow against Pittsburgh in the wild-card round of the playoffs.

But that never happened. Tebow played well throughout and the Denver defense, which steadily improved as the season progressed, kept the Broncos close as the game went to overtime.

On the first offensive play of overtime, Tebow threw one of his prettiest balls in Denver history, a strike to a moving Demaryius Thomas, who then sprinted for an 80-yard touchdown to give Denver its only playoff win since 2005.

Tebow went to the ground and struck his famous "Tebowing" pose. Then, he joined his teammates in a victory lap. In his final act with Denver, Tebow and the Broncos struggled in a 45-10 loss at New England the following week.

Tebow-mania ended almost as quickly as it started. The Broncos loved the spark Tebow gave them, but vice president of operations John Elway is a Hall of Fame quarterback, and he couldn’t stand seeing his team run a non-NFL attack. Peyton Manning became available and Tebow became a memory -- but one few will ever forget.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/59384/most-compeelign-teams-2011-broncos

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 08, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »

Denver Broncos director of player personnel Matt Russell was arrested for possible DUI last weekend in Colorado after being involved in an accident with a police vehicle, authorities told NFL.com and NFL Network on Monday.

Denver Broncos director of player personnel Matt Russell was arrested Saturday and charged with DUI in Colorado, authorities said. (Summit County Sheriff’s Office)
Russell was charged with DUI, having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle, careless driving resulting in injury and failure to display proof of insurance, according to the Summit County jail.

Russell was accused of hitting a silver 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe, a police vehicle, shortly before 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Breckenridge, Trooper Nate Reid of the Colorado State Patrol said. An officer inside the SUV was not seriously hurt.

Earlier in the night, Russell got in an accident with another car in Frisco, just north of Breckenridge, town spokeswoman Brodie Boilard told NFL.com and NFL Network. After the accident, both drivers stopped and exchanged insurance information, and Russell left.

"At that point, the other driver realized (Russell) was intoxicated and called the police," Boilard said.

Then the Breckenridge crash happened.

Russell joined the Broncos in 2009 as the team's director of college scouting and was promoted to director of player personnel in January 2012.

Russell was out of jail Sunday on bail.

Jeff Legwold of The Denver Post wrote that Russell's position with the Broncos could be at risk considering the severity of the charges. Russell also could be subject to the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

The Broncos released a statement saying they were "extremely disappointed and concerned" with the incident. Russell also released a statement through the team and expressed remorse.

"I deeply regret the poor judgment I demonstrated that resulted in my arrest over the weekend," Russell said. "I apologize to the Denver Broncos, our fans and the National Football League for this inexcusable mistake. I'm ashamed that I represented this region and the Broncos organization in the manner that I did. I take complete responsibility for my actions and will be fully accountable. Going forward, I will take steps to ensure this never happens again."

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 10, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/7/9/4509732/two-denver-broncos-dui-arrests-in-less-than-a-month

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 14, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

On this week's Around The League Debate Club, we traveled team-by-team through the AFC West to unpack the division's most pressing questions heading into training camp.

In Denver, the most compelling positional battle for the Broncos will unfold in the backfield, where Ronnie Hillman, Knowshon Moreno and rookie Montee Ball will battle for snaps. The ATL gang agreed the most likely outcome is a committee approach, but the second-year Hillman isn't in the mood to share.

"Come the opener, I want to be the guy back there," Hillman told The Denver Post. "I can't lie. I want it to be me and I'm pushing to be that guy."

His resolve is noted, but I'd rank Hillman as the least likely of the three to see featured-back duties. Before Willis McGahee was released, Hillman struggled to be viewed as an every-down back, largely because his game was incomplete as a rookie. Despite speed and moves, Hillman proved a liability in pass protection. His weight also plummeted below 180 pounds by season's end. He's up to 195 heading into camp, but Hillman isn't a natural between-the-tackles runner.

"I know it's about production, that I have to produce to be in there," Hillman said. "That's how they'll decide: who's producing."

Hillman spent plenty of time with the first-team offense this spring, but it's Ball who stands out to me as the eventual workhorse for the Broncos. Moreno's durability issues make him a risk, but Ball's 663 carries at Wisconsin over the past two seasons suggest a guy who can grind. Either way, the Broncos were an honorable mention on this week's deep backfield list, and that's not a bad problem to have.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217675/article/ronnie-hillman-wants-to-be-denver-broncos-main-back

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 15, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »

The Broncos beat a Monday deadline and signed left tackle Ryan Clady to a five-year deal worth $52.5 million in base salary late Sunday. With $33 million guaranteed, Clady can earn up to $57.5 million.

The team site takes a look at Nate Irving's viability as the starting middle linebacker.

In their week-by-week preview, the Broncos site previews Denver's Week 14 opponent: the Tennessee Titans.

Kyle Montgomery at the Mile High Report asks whether the Broncos improved their receiving corps? Here's their player-by-player analysis of the the unit.

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 15, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »

Video: Broncos suspend execs for arrests

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/59758/video-broncos-suspend-execs-for-arrests

FIRE DENNIS ALLEN/ (thank you)/ FIRE REGGIE MCKENZIE/GET NEW OWNERSHIP
CC 2
HOF Member

Win or Lose make them pay the price!

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

Screw you Donkey's.  middlefinger middlefinger middlefinger middlefinger donkey

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6500/von-miller

Broncos Pro-bowl LB Von Miller is facing a four-game suspension for violating NFL policy.
This should effect the Sept 23 match up vs the Raiders.  Grin

The one
HOF Member

"The only easy day was yesterday"

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »

Screw you Donkey's.  middlefinger middlefinger middlefinger middlefinger donkey

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6500/von-miller

Broncos Pro-bowl LB Von Miller is facing a four-game suspension for violating NFL policy.
This should effect the Sept 23 match up vs the Raiders.  Grin
You beat me to it!!  Grin fuck those donkos!

"The Marines are looking for a few good men, unfortunately you ain't it". Clint Eastwood, Heart break ridge.
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 27, 2013, 01:43:56 AM »

Report: Von Miller suspension not for a positive drug test

Broncos linebacker Von Miller is in the process of appealing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, but according to a new report, Miller did not fail a drug test.

“He didn’t test positive for anything,” an unnamed person with knowledge of the situation told USA Today.

We’ll likely never know all the details of Miller’s case, just like we never know all the details of most NFL suspensions for violations of the substance-abuse policy, because the league’s confidentiality rules keep that information quiet. The very fact that we’re talking about this before Miller’s appeal has been heard shows that someone violated the confidentiality rules by leaking the news that he’s facing a suspension, but when these leaks come out, they usually don’t tell the full story.

But if it’s true that Miller didn’t fail a drug test, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll win his appeal. It’s possible to violate the policy without testing positive by, for instance, refusing to take a test or submitting a diluted urine sample.

So while the news that Miller did not test positive might seem to back up his claim that he did nothing wrong, it still remains to be seen whether Miller can win his appeal and be on the field in Week One.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/26/report-von-miller-suspension-not-for-a-positive-drug-test/

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »

An exam confirmed Denver Broncos center Dan Koppen tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Sunday, according to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post. Koppen was carted off the field after he heard a pop in the knee.

More: Broncos fans discuss Koppen injury, situation at center.
With Koppen lost for the season, the Broncos have a significant hole to fill at the center position. Koppen started 12 games last year as a fill-in for J.D. Walton, who suffered a major ankle injury in September. Walton had another surgical procedure done on the ankle in June, leaving his availability for the 2013 season in doubt. At minimum, it appears he won't be able to play until late October or early November, barring setbacks.

That's why Denver signed Koppen last month; the 10-year veteran has started more than 130 games in his career and would have served as a useful stopgap, just as he did a year ago. Manny Ramirez, normally a guard, is handling the snapping duties for now.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/28/4565924/dan-koppen-injury-broncos-acl

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »

Why..........that sucks.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2013, 12:47:59 AM »

The Denver Broncos reacted quickly to the news that starting center Dan Koppen is out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

They agreed to terms with free agent center Steve Vallos today, pending a physical.

Vallos has played in 44 games with nine starts, including stints with the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars.

He has allowed just 1.25 sacks in his career and has been called for just two penalties according to STATS Inc.

He was selected by the Seahawks in the seventh round the 2007 NFL draft.

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »

You can cross Jeff Saturday off a list of possible Denver Broncos center candidates.

ESPN’s Ed Werder reported Peyton Manning’s longtime battery mate has no plans of ending his retirement. Saturday, who retired after last season, is down to close to 230 pounds. Manning and Saturday played together from 1999-2011 in Indianapolis.

Manning and the Broncos have a hole at center. Dan Koppen suffered a torn ACL Sunday in practice and he is out for the year. Regular starter J.D. Walton suffered an ankle injury last September and he is out until, at least, mid season. Right now, guard Manny Ramirez is Denver’s starting center.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/60045/forget-about-jeff-saturday-in-denver

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

Quentin Jammer could be reborn in Denver. The Broncos are looking at him at safety in the nickel and also at slot corner. His impact could be felt most in his versatility. And by the way, John Elway loves him some Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Thinks he’ll be reborn playing next to Champ Bailey and Chris Harris.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: