September 01, 2014, 09:48:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DENVER BRONCOS NEWS  (Read 18573 times)
805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »

Nalen says he tried to hurt Olshansky in '06

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- One of the quietest players in NFL history sure had a lot to say Thursday.
Former Denver Broncos center Tom Nalen made up for all those ''no comments'' during his 15-year career during an extraordinary half hour that at times showed precisely why he was wise to stay silent rather than speak his mind.
While meeting with the media to talk about his election into the team's Ring of Fame, Nalen insisted he wasn't a dirty player but acknowledged trying to injure San Diego Chargers defensive lineman Igor Olshansky in a game in Denver in 2006.
Nalen dived at Olshansky's knees while his quarterback was spiking the ball in the waning seconds of a game the Chargers held on to win 35-27 on Nov. 19, 2006. Olshansky threw two punches at Nalen and was ejected. Both players were fined.
Nalen insisted it wasn't a cheap shot but payback for what had happened on the previous play. At the time, his teammates said Olshansky had grabbed Nalen's facemask.
Asked what was the difference between being dirty and being tough, Nalen said: ''Probably penalties. You get called for it, right? No, I played clean football. I wasn't a cut blocker, I wasn't like those other four guys next to me. Those were the dirty ones. If you're cut-blocking at center, you're doing the wrong thing probably. So, I wouldn't consider myself a dirty player.''
''I know people will bring up the Igor Olshansky play in 2006,'' Nalen added, ''but if people would look at the play before that and realize why I did what I did - and even on that play I missed the cut - so you know definitely I wanted to blow his knee out on that play because of what happened the play before. But that, you know, is that dirty? I don't know. It's revenge, kind of, so.''
Too bad he wasn't quoted more often during his playing days, someone suggested.
''I know,'' Nalen concurred. ''I needed to save it all. So, I can spew it out.''
Actually, Nalen's been speaking his mind on his ESPN radio show he shares with Les Shapiro in Denver over the last several months, but this had to be the first time he was asked - and answered - 40 questions.
Except for rare exceptions during his playing career, Nalen stuck to the offensive linemen's code of silence that was fostered by his position coach, Alex Gibbs, who recently returned to the Broncos as an offensive consultant.
Nalen said he hasn't heard from Gibbs but can only guess what he'd think of his radio gig: ''sellout, hypocrite, all that good stuff.''
The 42-year-old Nalen played 14 seasons with the Broncos, including their back-to-back Super Bowl years, before a balky knee sidelined him in 2008, after which he retired as a five-time Pro Bowl player. His 188 career starts are second-most in franchise history behind John Elway. During his career, Denver's running backs topped 1,000 yards 11 times and the 395 sacks allowed by the Broncos during his tenure were the third-fewest in the league over that span.
His induction ceremony will be at halftime of the Broncos' game against Philadelphia on Sept. 29, and Nalen said that while he's thrilled to be the 24th member of the Ring of Fame, he's dreading his acceptance speech already.
''At halftime, I'm hoping there won't be 76,000 fans. Hopefully, they'll be getting a beer when I'm speaking for 12 seconds or so,'' he said. ''I'm not looking forward to that at all, no. I think I'll put my helmet on, I'd feel much more comfortable.''
Centers and safeties don't tend to get bronze busts in Canton, Ohio, and Nalen isn't counting on getting elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame anytime soon, but he said getting into the team's Ring of Honor means more anyway.
''It comes from the team. I spent 15 years here and they felt like I was worthy of the 23 other guys that are in the Ring of Fame and that means a lot because they knew everything about me, warts and all,'' Nalen said.
Asked for his secret to sticking around so long with one team, he cracked, ''I had naked pictures of somebody.''
Actually, in the era of the 300-pound-plus linemen, at 280 pounds, Nalen said he was the prototype for Gibbs' and Mike Shanahan's zone-blocking schemes that highlighted agility and lateral movement more than raw power and bigger bodies.
Elway called Nalen ''the epitome of grit, toughness and athleticism for centers.''
Nalen was stunned when team president Joe Ellis surprised him with the news of his election on his radio show Wednesday. He said he never expected to get elected - that's why he promised so many different teammates toward the end of his career that they could introduce him if he ever made it.
''Two of my kids were old enough to watch me play and my youngest was not,'' Nalen said. ''My kids know what I did but this gives them some sort of tangible evidence that Daddy did his job well and was honored for it,'' Nalen said. ''I think it's pretty cool. I got in my back pocket: 'Daddy's name's going to be on the stadium, so, you know, do your damn homework.'''
Nalen also acknowledged he was intimidated by Elway, the team's Hall of Fame quarterback who is now the Broncos' executive vice president.
''Even his last year in '98 was my fifth year and I still couldn't get the strength to go up and ask the guy for an autograph, I was so intimidated,'' Nalen said.
Nalen said that while he hated the meetings, he still loves football and wants to coach offensive linemen in college or the pros someday. He helped out high school teams in the Denver area for four years after his playing career was over but found the Xs and Os too remedial.
He said he got no responses to any of the 50 resumes he sent out to small colleges, however.
Nalen even spoke with Elway a couple of years ago ''and he said he was going to put me on a list, but that list must be pretty long,'' Nalen said.
''I would like to coach football. It's in my blood. It's what I like to do. It's where I'm most comfortable. But I don't think it's going to happen, so I'm cool with it now. I kind of resigned myself. I mean, I was putting out resumes to Division III schools that you never heard of in New England and got no reply,'' Nalen said.
He said he'd love to tutor Broncos center J.D. Walton ''and go out and drink beers after, too.''
On other topics, Nalen said:
-he loves talking sports because it's a challenge and ''for 3 1/2 years, I did nothing more than drive my kids around to crappy sporting events and coach high school football.''
-Pro Bowls ''are pretty ridiculous ... the people that know you aren't the ones voting on you.''
-Gibbs keeps returning to football because ''he just maybe he likes to torture people would be my guess.''
-he's not worried about the effects of his numerous concussions he had during his playing days. ''It would be fatalistic to think about now what could happen to me. I think if I get to 52, 53, I'll be happy. All gravy after that. I was talking to Gary Zimmerman about that last night. It's an interesting conversation, talking about dying, it's good stuff, good stuff right there.''
Nalen also said this year's Broncos remind him of the Super Bowl teams he played on that followed their upset loss to Jacksonville in 1996 when they were 13-3 and the AFC's top seed - same as last year's team that was beaten by Baltimore in the playoffs.
''Maybe I should hold judgment but I cannot. I really feel like they're the best team in the NFL,'' Nalen said. ''And (San Francisco's Michael) Crabtree getting hurt yesterday doesn't hurt their (chances).''
Told he had made up for all his no-comments in one sit-down news conference, Nalen stood up, took off his microphone clip and cracked a smile.
''See,'' he said. ''Don't hate me.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nalen-says-tried-hurt-olshansky-214300164--nfl.html

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »

Typical dirty ass Donkey.  donkey middlefinger middlefinger middlefinger evilfinger evilfinger

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »

Four months after the Denver Broncos' playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens, coach John Fox said he'd still have Peyton Manning take a knee and go to overtime rather than try for the win with 31 seconds left. He has second-guessed a pivotal decision he made on Denver's previous offensive possession, however.

Fox told The Denver Post that he's debated the Broncos' final play before overtime with his staff and his wife during the offseason and he "would do the same thing 10 times out of 10," similar to statements he made in the team's news conference in January two days after the 38-35 overtime loss.

Fox said then that he stood by a decision to call a running play on third-and-7 at the Broncos' 47 and then punt the ball away with 1:15 remaining. He has a different opinion now, however.

"That's the one that gnaws at me. We get the first down there, and Baltimore can't stop the clock again, and the game's over," Fox told the newspaper.

Despite being down to their third-string running back, 188-pound Ronnie Hillman, the Broncos called three straight running plays, including a run off right guard on third-and-7 that went for no gain. That ran the clock down to 1:15 and made Baltimore burn all its timeouts.

But three plays after a punt, Joe Flacco threw an improbable 70-yard touchdown over Rahim Moore and into the hands of Jacoby Jones that tied the game.

Asked what call he would have selected instead of Hillman's run off right guard, Fox told the newspaper: "I don't know, but something that would pick up a first down."

As for having Manning kneel down, however, Fox said the Broncos needed to regroup after the Ravens' improbable touchdown.

"When they scored the touchdown, you could hear crickets in the stadium," he told the newspaper. "You think the crowd was shocked? It was a lot harder on the players and the coaches. It was a 12-round fight. We had been knocked down by a hard punch. The best thing we could do was get up, regroup and get to the next round."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9313291/third-7-not-knee-haunts-john-fox-denver-broncos

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:50 PM »

In a fast-moving story Wednesday, the Denver Broncos’ front office reportedly survived a scare.

Denver director of player personnel Matt Russell decided to stay with the team instead of remaining a candidate to become the next athletic director at his alma mater, the University of Colorado. Earlier Wednesday afternoon, the Denver Post reported Russell wanted to go back to his old school where he was a star linebacker. Now, the NFL Network reports Russell will stay in Denver.

Russell is John Elway’s right-hand man and he is highly valued in the organization. Russell turned down a chance to interview for the open Chargers’ general manager job in January.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58748/report-top-denver-executive-stays

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »

The Denver Broncos have added a veteran defensive back after all.

A week after Charles Woodson picked the Oakland Raiders over the Broncos, Denver announced the signing of cornerback Quentin Jammer, who spent the last 11 years with the San Diego Chargers. He was the fifth overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Jammer, 33, started 161 games for the Chargers, and has 21 career interceptions.
He returned one of those interceptions off Peyton Manning for a touchdown last October.

Jammer joins Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as free agent additions to the Broncos' secondary. Denver also used a third-round pick on cornerback Kayvon Webster.

Jammer is also the third former Charger to join the Broncos this offseason, following guard Louis Vasquez and linebacker Shaun Phillips.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/05/29/broncos-quentin-jammer/2370831/

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 30, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »

In the final installment of the State of the AFC West, I will focus on the Raiders' Most Hated Rival and what is likely the least favorite team of most readers of this site, the Denver Broncos.

Last season the Broncos dominated the league and were the #1 overall seed in the AFC, but lost in the playoffs to the eventual Super Bowl champion Ravens.

Come free agency this year, the Broncos had a ton of money to spend and spend it they did, picking up Wes Welker, Terrance Knighton, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. They also brought in Shaun Phillips and Quentin Jammer to strengthen a defense that lost Ty Warren, D.J. Williams, Tracy Porter, and Elvis Dumervil. Star left tackle Ryan Clady isn't currently listed on the roster at denverbroncos.com as he has not signed his tender, but the team has hopes of reaching a long-term deal with him.

The Broncos have few weaknesses, particularly at the top. They are the only team in the AFC West who didn't make wholesale coaching changes, and they have a new OC only because Mike McCoy took the San Diego HC job. When a team has success, that's what happens- ask the Patriots. John Fox is still there and so is John Elway, and Peyton Manning probably has at least two more years to whizz in the coffee of the rest of the AFC.

If you're waiting for Manning to turn back into a pumpkin, don't hold your breath. He is still Peyton Manning and he's still better than 97% of QBs who ever lived. Until he calls it a career, that's just something we're going to have to deal with.

Not only didn't the Broncos lose any WRs of note, but Wes Welker was added to the mix as well. With Eric Decker on the roster, Welker looks superfluous to me, but this might be something they did just to make the Patriots worse, which is never a bad thing to try. Demaryius Thomas is only getting better and Manning has a habit of making his receivers look better than they actually are, so I anticipate a huge year from the Bronco passing attack.

The offensive line should still be strong even with the loss of Dan Koppen, particularly if Clady reaches a contract extension agreement.

The rush attack has also been bolstered with the drafting of former Wisconsin RB Montee Ball. He is a strong runner with a nose for the end zone and was used in a timeshare at UW so he shouldn't have any problems sharing the workload with Knowshon Moreno and Ronnie Hillman and Lance Ball and whatever other useful running backs the Broncos have sacrificed chickens to acquire.

Denver's secondary remains strong with the additions of Jammer and Rodgers-Cromartie, who will team with Champ Bailey to form a nice whooshing sound as Torrey Smith scores another touchdown. Rahim Moore is a young safety with a lot of promise.

The linebackers outside of Miller and Phillips are mostly anonymous, but Miller is the best rush linebacker in the AFC and maybe second only to Demarcus Ware. The defensive line also improved with the addition of Knighton, who is 6-3 and 330 lbs. Robert Ayers continues to develop at defensive end, and Derek Wolfe is a massive DE who can also play inside.

Barring injury, there's no reason to suspect the Broncos will be significantly worse this year than last. Part of this is due to Manning's influence, and part of it is due to Elway's aptitude for the GM position. It may be another long year of listening to Donks fans braying about how great they are until they inevitably choke in the playoffs.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/5/30/4380876/state-of-the-afc-west-broncos

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2013, 12:15:18 AM »

Quentin Jammer made it clear why he signed with the Denver Broncos.

“A chance to win a championship,” he told reporters in Denver on Thursday after his first practice with the team. The 12-year veteran, who spent his entire career with San Diego, signed with Denver on Wednesday. The 34-year-old is being converted from cornerback to safety and will play rotationally.

“You look at this team and what they did last year, and what Peyton Manning brings to this football team. I get to play with a guy like Champ Bailey. Hands down, if you look across the league, what better place to go than Denver to have a chance to play for a championship?”

Jammer said it wasn’t difficult making the switch to a division rival. He had interest in returning to the Chargers, but the new San Diego brass wanted to go young in the secondary. Denver was looking for veteran help at safety.

“No, it wasn’t really that tough,” Jammer said. “Obviously I had spent so much time in San Diego, to uproot and leave and go somewhere and uproot your family, it’s hard. It’s a difficult thing to do. But when you’re forced to, you have decisions to make. The next decision that you have to make is you have three to four more years left in you. What are you going to do with your life? I want to win a championship. Like I said, I think Denver gives me that opportunity.”

Jammer said he is excited to have his new role in Denver. The Broncos are looking for improvement in covering tight ends, and Jammer will get a chance to help there.

“I can cover (as a) safety, I can cover wide receivers,” Jammer said. “I can pretty much cover anybody on the field. I’ve been doing it for 11 years. Why stop now?”

Jammer received a hearty welcome from his new quarterback upon his arrival in Denver.

“I am excited about Quentin Jammer,” Manning told reporters in Denver on Thursday. “I played against Quentin a number of times. San Diego and Indianapolis were almost like division teams for a number of years playing every single season because we both won the division, and playing in the playoffs. He is a veteran corner. He’s seen it all. I know Coach Fox and Coach (Defensive Coordinator Jack) Del Rio are glad to have him because of the versatility that he brings. Whether he is playing corner, possibly playing some safety, he’s a guy they can put in in the dime package and let him cover an athletic tight end … So, we are glad to have him, and I know he’s excited to be here.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58810/new-bronco-jammer-has-title-on-his-mind

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 01, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »

Knowshon Moreno remains a question mark for the Denver Broncos.

Adam Schein says the window is closing on Peyton Manning's chance to land a legacy-securing second Super Bowl title. More ...
The fourth-year running back underwent a procedure during the offseason in which stem cells were taken from the bone marrow in his pelvis and injected into his right knee. Moreno has had issues with the knee since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament late in the 2011 season.

Moreno has been limited during organized team activities, and has yet to be medically cleared to practice.

"He's coming along," coach John Fox said, according to The Denver Post. "We're going to be very cautious. When the doctors give him the full-go go-ahead, he'll be doing everything."

With Moreno out and Willis McGahee a no-show at OTAs, rookie Montee Ball has a golden opportunity to eat up reps and slide into a featured back role. Ronnie Hillman also stands to gain from the head start given by his elders.

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2013, 11:20:40 PM »

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. –  Willis McGahee apparently is counting on history repeating itself.
The grizzled running back skipped some of last year's offseason workouts, then showed up at the mandatory minicamp and handily won the Denver Broncos' starting job during training camp.
His absence this time around is much more of a gamble.
McGahee is pushing 32, he's coming off a serious knee injury, he's set to make $2.5 million this season and the void he left at practice has been filled nicely by second-year speedster Ronnie Hillman and rookie Montee Ball, who scored an NCAA-record 83 touchdowns at Wisconsin.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/06/03/denver-broncos-loaded-at-running-back-even-without-no-show-veteran-willis/#ixzz2VDKhTG1i

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 05, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »

Broncos want Derek Wolfe to lead pack

One of the most talked about Denver Broncos in the offseason workout sessions has been second-year defensive lineman Derek Wolfe.

The second-round pick became an instant impact player last season and he was a big part of the No. 2 overall defense in the NFL. Now in his second season, the team is pumping up Wolfe as a player who will take on a more vital role and become a leader to help replace Elvis Dumervil, who is now in Baltimore after the infamous fax machine fiasco.

Even though it is not common for second-year players to take on a huge leadership position, star linebacker Von Miller said Wolfe has taken to the role naturally.

“There really is not too much that I have to say to him,” Miller said. “Coming out here when we started OTAs [organized team activities], he was already first and the leader in the group out of Year 2. I talked to him about (Houston’s) J.J. Watt and the jump that he had from Year 1 to Year 2. I think he can do the same type of stuff. I think you just keep working hard; I think he’ll have the same type of effect for our defense.”

Wolfe is a different player than Dumervil and Watt. While he does have solid pass-rush skills, he is more of an all-around player who can be moved around the defensive line. Wolfe said his role as a contributor and as a leader will be based on the same thing -- work ethic.

“If you can look past the experience levels -- I think that anybody that plays this game respects hard work,” Wolfe said. “So I just try to lead with my effort and I’m not a big vocal guy either. I just try to lead by example and do the right things and usually people will follow.”

Count Denver first-round pick Sylvester Williams among those people. Wolfe has quickly become a mentor to his fellow young defensive lineman.

“The thing I take from him is play hard all the time,” Williams said. “He’s a hard-nosed type of guy and he gives 100 percent to everything he does. In the weight room, this is the kind of guy that’s doing extra reps and some guys are struggling to get all the reps they’re supposed to do. When I first came in he was one of the guys that I kind of keyed in on as a guy that I was going to stick behind him because I knew he was going to do the right thing.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58927/broncos-want-wolfe-to-lead-pack

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 05, 2013, 10:51:48 PM »

Broncos coach dealing with tragedy

The Denver Broncos are in mourning Wednesday.

The parents of running back coach Eric Studesville were killed in a motorcycle accident in Texas on Tuesday.

“Our most heartfelt condolences go to Eric Studesville and his entire family following the tragic loss of his parents, Al and Jan Studesville,” the team said in a statement. “We were devastated to learn of their passing today. Our thoughts and prayers are with Eric and his family, and our organization will support them however possible during this difficult time.”

The Broncos cancelled media availability for their organized training activities (OTA) practice.

Studesville, 46, is a popular member of the coaching staff. He was the team’s interim head coach to end the 2010 season after Josh McDaniels was fired. He was kept on staff when John Fox took over as head coach. Studesville’s parents were major influences in his life as the Denver Post explained in this 2010 story.

Our condolences go out to Studesville and his family.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58923/broncos-coach-dealing-with-tragedy

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »

CBS Sports thinks Denver nickel cornerback Chris Harris is the most underrated player in the NFL. That’s pretty heady stuff, but there’s no doubt, the former undrafted free agent has become an impact player in Denver.

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 10, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »

Chargers are Broncos' farm team

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Quentin Jammer and Shaun Phillips walked across the parking lot that separates the weight room and locker room, along with but also slightly apart from the rest of the group.

Maybe the effect was doubly dubious because they were side by side.

But there really can be no overstating how odd – surreal, really -- it was to see these two San Diego stalwarts, who endured through the triumphant and the trying times of the past decade, who played so much and oftentimes so well for the Chargers, to be wearing the dark blue shorts and grey shirt with the enraged, in-motion horse head …

… of … the … Denver … Broncos.

“It is weird,” Jammer said.

“Yeah, definitely,” Phillips agreed.

The Chargers begin minicamp Tuesday.

For the first time in 12 years, Jammer won’t be there. For the first time in 10 years, Phillips won’t be there. For the first time in five years, Louis Vasquez won’t be there.

All three will be in Denver as the Broncos hold their minicamp over the same three days.

THE REALITY

Face it, the Broncos own the Chargers.

The two straight division titles weren’t sufficient. The comeback from 24-0 wasn’t the ultimate humiliation. A Manning as their quarterback is not nauseating enough.

Now they’re treating the Chargers like their farm team.

The Broncos this offseason have harvested the Chargers roster, taking three players who started every game in 2012.

Only thing worse would be if Eric Weddle signed with the Raiders with maybe Nick Hardwick also signing on to hike the ball to whichever quarterback is next up in Oakland. And, ok, it would have been worse if the Chiefs had decided to fill their quarterback void not by trading for Alex Smith but by acquiring Philip Rivers, with the Bolts throwing in Antonio Gates for a mid-round draft pick.

Jammer’s 172 games as a Charger rank fourth all-time – behind only David Binn, Junior Seau and Dan Fouts. Jammer didn’t make a lot of interceptions, but no Charger has had more since 2002. And neither has a Charger made more tackles than Jammer since in that span.

Phillips’ 136 games rank 17th in franchise history and are just five fewer games than LaDainian Tomlinson played with the team. Phillips’ 69½ sacks are second-most in franchise history behind only Leslie O’Neal. His 19 forced fumbles are most ever by a Charger, eight more than Junior Seau.

And while Vasquez’s time in San Diego was much shorter than the other two, he did start 54 games over the past four seasons, second-most among Chargers offensive linemen.

And so it was that the players were pilloried by many fans for their “choice” of new employer. Given their importance to the franchise – Jammer will undoubtedly be and Phillips should be one day inducted into the team’s Hall of Fame -- the reaction to them leaving was understandable, if a bit misguided at times.

“I was never upset at the Chargers or Chargers fans, but when they call us traitors,” Phillips said. “Like, we didn’t do anything wrong. If anything, be mad at the Chargers, they didn’t re-sign us. I’m not mad at them. They gave me my opportunity to play football.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jun/09/jammer-phillips-vasquez-chargers-broncos-acee/

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »

The Denver Broncos cut former starting running back Willis McGahee on Thursday, the final day of their minicamp. Here are some thoughts on the move:

It was coming: The Broncos drafted Ronnie Hillman in the third round last year and they drafted Montee Ball in the second round this year. McGahee will turn 32 in October and he is coming off a knee surgery.

Willis McGahee
#23 RB
Denver Broncos
2012 STATS
Rush
Yds
TD
Rec
Yds
TD
0McGahee didn’t do himself any favors by missing this month's organized team activities (OTAs). He said it was for family reasons. McGahee did show up this week for the mandatory minicamp, but by then the Broncos had realized they could comfortably move on from McGahee. I thought McGahee would be out of the picture after training camp, but Denver clearly feels good about moving forward without him prior to camp. The move saves $2.5 million in salary-cap room.

Says a lot about Ball: This means Denver is ready to unleash Ball. The Broncos have been thrilled with the Wisconsin product all offseason. I expect him to be a starter right away. If Denver had reservations about Ball, the team would have kept McGahee.

McGahee was a good Bronco: When Denver signed McGahee two years ago, I thought he would have limited success because of all the injuries he had had. But he went out and played well for Denver in two seasons. He was tough and had a lot of big carries. McGahee gained 1,930 yards and averaged 4.6 yards per carry in 25 games in Denver. He was a productive signing.

Does McGahee fit elsewhere in the AFC West? Each team is set at starter. The Raiders and the Chiefs have young backups they like. But if either team feels it needs a veteran presence, it’d be tough to do better than McGahee. Perhaps San Diego will take a look at him. He would give the Chargers some toughness and he played for new Chargers head coach Mike McCoy the past two years in Denver. If I had to guess, I’d say the Chargers would be the AFC West favorite to land McGahee.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/59173/thoughts-on-denver-releasing-mcgahee

805raiderslo
Global Moderator
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »

Denver Broncos center J.D. Walton missed all but four games last season after fracturing his ankle in late September. There's now a chance he will miss the 2013 season after undergoing additional surgery on the same ankle last week, reports Jeff Legwold of The Denver Post.

The Broncos are still holding out hope that Walton will return by November in a best-case scenario, but they have to be prepared for a season-long absence.

Brooks: Welker vs. Cruz
Wes Welker redefined the slot receiver position. Has he been surpassed by Victor Cruz? Bucky Brooks breaks it down. More ...
The loss of Walton is not a major blow to the Broncos' Super Bowl chances, as the offense hit its stride with veteran Dan Koppen taking over the pivot from October through the end of the season.

Koppen, 34 in September, drew little interest on the free-agent market and remains unsigned. The Broncos figure to kick his tires, but they have other options as well. Veteran right guard Chris Kuper was billed as a potential cap casualty after the addition of Louis Vasquez in free agency. He might now be a necessity.

If the coaches opt not to try Kuper or left guard Zane Beadles at center, 2012 fourth-round draft pick Philip Blake and long-time backup Manny Ramirez would move into the spotlight.

Whatever route the Broncos go, the blocking will be fine as long as they have the league's preeminent pre-snap quarterback solving a heavily camouflaged defense at the line of scrimmage.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213478/article/jd-walton-reportedly-might-miss-broncos-season

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: