RaidersForum.net

Oakland Raiders Fan Community - RaiderForum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raiders' offensive line planning to protest before Sunday's game.  (Read 887 times)

The Prole

• Franchise Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
    • View Profile
Raiders' offensive line planning to protest before Sunday's game.
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »

The entire offensive line of the Oakland Raiders plans to protest during the national anthem prior to Sunday night's game against the Washington Redskins in response to President Trump's statements about the NFL, a player with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The Raiders' offensive line, the only all African-American unit in the NFL, plans to sit or kneel together in protest of unity during the anthem, according to Rapoport.

"As far as some of the players I've spoken with, even a lot of them who have strong views and have kept it private, they feel that President Trump has given them no choice but to speak out," Rapoport reported on NFL GameDay Morning on Sunday.

The anticipated protest comes a day after the NFL, the NFL Players Association and team owners and CEOs responded to President Trump stating Friday that team owners should fire players who fail to stand for the national anthem prior to games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000849627/article/raiders-offensive-line-planning-to-protest-before-sundays-game

The Prole

• Franchise Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
    • View Profile
Re: Raiders' offensive line planning to protest before Sunday's game.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »

As a foreigner, I've generally made a point of staying off this topic. However, I'm just gonna say in my own opinion, any player who exercises his right to make a peaceful protest during the anthem is displaying what freedom is all about. He is not disrespecting the military or the fallen. In fact he is honouring what they fight for. Trying to open a dialogue to address a serious and difficult issue is an honourable thing.

There are countries around the world that don't accept any kind of dissent. That punish anyone that speaks out against the regime. At best they get labelled as traitors, at worse they disappear. You don't want to be one of those countries.

I was heartened to see the owners come out and support their players. It was interesting to see how many more players took a knee in London and it was also good to see the Jags owner linking arms with his players.

And if the Raiders O'line decide to protest in unity, I think that is perfectly acceptable.

Just my opinion, appreciate not everyone will agree with that take.

805raiderslo

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »

I just spoke with Raiders owner Mark Davis. He told me the following: “About a year ago, before our Tennessee game, I met with Derek Carr and Khalil Mack to ask their permission to have Tommie Smith light the torch for my father before the game in Mexico City. I explained to them that I was asking their permission because I had previously told them that I would prefer that they not protest while in the Raiders uniform. And should they have something to say, once their uniform was off, I might go up there with them. Over the last year, though, the streets have gotten hot and there has been a lot of static in the air and recently, fuel has been added to the fire. I can no longer ask our team to not say something while they are in a Raider uniform. The only thing I can ask them to do is do it with class. Do it with pride. Not only do we have to tell people there is something wrong, we have to come up with answers. That’s the challenge in front of us as Americans and human beings.”

Paul Gutierrez, ESPN Staff Writer

Holy Toledo!!!

• Franchise Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »

I have to agree with former Raider Burgess Owens on this matter:

Let me tell you about our responsibility is, and every generation has done this throughout the history of our country, is to give our kids more hope than we had. My parents’ generation, my grandparents’ generation succeeded [in sowing hope]. That’s how they fought racism.

We have the greatest country and the most freedom today, and we have more people, particularly black Americans, who have less hope and that’s because they have very successful men telling them that they can do it but that black Americans can’t do it.

It’s really time for us to stand up as men and say: ‘Listen guys, this country gives us everything we want and if I did it, you can do it too.’ And stop the whole thing … if you wanna have demonstrations, demonstrate someplace else, but not against our flag that gives us the freedom to be the greatest people in the history of mankind.

and his thoughts on the recent unrest in St Louis:

What’s happening here is actually a purposeful process to divide us. Those who like to call everybody as racists, keep in mind, they’re the racists and they will continue to divide us with their negative focus. … We win this thing together. That’s what America is all about. … Those are the same people who could care less about the black people killed in Chicago

The Prole

• Franchise Member
  • Raider Forum Sponsor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »

Donald Penn

"No, we didn't necessarily lead the group. I mean, we're all on the same page. We're all on the same thing. I wish I didn't have to do anything like that. I've been standing (for the national anthem) all the time, but when you get called out personally by the president of your country, you know you've got to do something. I didn't want to do that. I don't think my teammates wanted to do that, but it's something we had to do, man. This stuff is getting out of hand, you know. It's getting out of hand. I don't really want to talk about it and give him that much more of my time because it's getting out of hand. We've got disasters going on in Florida and Puerto Rico and Houston's still trying to rebuild and he's talking about us, a silent, peaceful protest. When the people in Charlottesville had all this, he didn't call them sons of b------, he didn't call them a-------, you know what I mean? ... He didn't say it about them, other people. We're doing peaceful ... everything we're doing is peaceful. You look at how much money J.J. Watt raised in Houston and stuff like that. We're doing stuff positive. You wanna call us out. [There's] something else he can talk about besides us and what we're doing. That's what my whole thing is."

"I'm not going to do it next week. I didn't want to do it this week. ... I respect the military. It had nothing to do with the military. I have the utmost respect for them. Because you will not see me over there shooting no guns. So I have so much respect for those guys and what they do. It had nothing to do with them. I hope they understand that. It had nothing to do with them. This all had to do with President Trump's comments and that's the only reason why we did that."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.