July 31, 2014, 03:23:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Joe, how's about you shut the fuck up and stick with Nascar?  (Read 32 times)
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:19:23 AM »

Joe Gibbs suggests eliminating extra points — and even field goals

Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs is all for eliminating the extra point. But why stop there?

Gibbs told Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio that he wouldn’t mind getting rid of field goals in addition to extra points. Why should 11 football players have to march the ball down the field only to put the team’s fate on the foot of a puny kicker? Gibbs thinks that if you want to give out partial points to a drive that gets stopped short of the end zone, award points for a team that gets inside the 10-yard line or the 5-yard line but fails to score.

“Even field goals, you know what I mean? I was one who wanted to let the team decide,” Gibbs said. “You get to the 10 you get one point, you get to the 5 you get two. I’m for anything like that where the team — that’s 11 guys — help determine the outcome of the game. Not one person kicking something.”

Gibbs is an old-school coach whose career started back in the days when men were men and kickers were expected to play another position, not just specialize. So it’s not surprising that when Gibbs thinks of a team of 11 guys determining the outcome of a game, he’s not thinking of one of those guys being a kicker.

But eliminating field goals isn’t even up for discussion in the NFL. Anyone who wants to de-emphasize kicking would be wise to keep the focus on extra points.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/joe-gibbs-suggests-eliminating-extra-points-and-even-field-goals/

Sonic
Franchise Member

Here Comes The Mack Attack!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »

My belief on extra points and field goals are...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" -- Sir Edmund Burke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: