April 21, 2014, 12:48:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Network 'will not renew Paula Deen's contract  (Read 250 times)
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »

Food Network has issued a statement saying it will not renew the contract for Paula Deen, who has been embroiled in controversy over the last several days after she admitted to using racial slurs in the past and failed to show up for a scheduled interview on TODAY Friday.

“Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

In a statement to TODAY, Deen responded, saying, "I would like to thank The Food Network for 11 great years. Because of the gift The Food Network gave me, I have had the pleasure of being allowed into so many homes across the country and meeting people who have shared with me the most touching and personal stories."

The firing came after Deen posted three short apology videos on YouTube.

The first was a 46-second video posted Friday afternoon, in which she offered up an apology for using "inappropriate, hurtful language." In a second video, Deen apologized for failing to show up for a scheduled interview with Matt Lauer on TODAY Friday to discuss her admission. The third was a similar, shorter version apologizing to Lauer.

Related: How Paula Deen's words could hurt the rest of her empire

"I was invited this morning to speak with Matt Lauer about a subject that has been very hurtful for a lot of people," she said in the second video. "And Matt, I have to say, I was physically not able this morning. The pain has been tremendous that I have caused to myself and to others, and so I’ve taken this opportunity now that I’ve pulled myself together and am able to speak to offer an apology to those that I have hurt."

She added that, "I’ve made mistakes, but that is no excuse. Your color of your skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter to me. But it’s what in the heart."

The second apology came nearly an hour after the first clip was removed from YouTube. In that heavily edited clip, she said, “I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done, and I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate, hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I’ve made.”

Deen, 66, has been mired in scandal after details emerged from a May 17 deposition in which she admitted using racial slurs, particularly the N-word, and was a no-show for an interview with Matt Lauer on TODAY Friday.

Related: She's sorry, and she's not alone: 8 celebrity apologies

“We had arranged to do an interview with Paula Deen, it had been going on, the discussions about that interview, throughout the day yesterday with her people,” Lauer said in the show’s opening. “I spoke to her late afternoon on the phone yesterday and we talked about the fact that it would be an open and candid discussion, no holds barred.” Later, Lauer added, “She told me at one point… ‘I don’t know how to be anything but honest.’”

“And this morning, although we have not spoken to her — she has not called us — her publicity people have told us she’s exhausted and will not be showing up,” Lauer explained.

A lawsuit filed last year against her and her brother Bubba Hiers by Lisa Jackson, a former manager of a restaurant owned by the siblings, alleged that employees there faced a hostile work environment. Deen and Hiers deny wrongdoing, according to court records.

Jackson alleged that while Deen was planning her brother’s 2007 wedding, she said of the waitstaff, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little [N-words] to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties...now that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

According to the transcript of the deposition, filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Deen denied using the N-word in that instance, but acknowledged that she had used it in other cases, such as when she was held up at gunpoint in the 1980s and later used the word to describe the robber to her husband.

"But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on," Deen said. "Things have changed since the '60s in the South. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do."

Immediately after Food Network's announcement, fans' reaction on the channel's Facebook page was heavily in favor of Deen, with some calling for a boycott, while a few others supported Food Network's decision.

This isn’t the first controversy Deen has dealt with. In 2012, the Southern star revealed to TODAY that she had been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes three years earlier, while simultaneously announcing that she had an endorsement deal with Novo Nordisk, the pharmaceutical company that makes her diabetes medication — all while continuing to promote her brand of rich comfort cooking.

As a result, she faced serious backlash from the public as well as criticism from other celebrity chefs, most notably Anthony Bourdain, who summed up the sentiment tweeting, “Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later."

This story was originally published at 10:06 a.m. ET.on June 21.

http://www.today.com/food/paula-deen-issues-apology-please-forgive-me-mistakes-6C10408932?3423

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:52:08 PM »

And you know what would be cool also deen?

Yanks marching onto your plantation and burning it the fuck down.

Dumb ass bitch.

Now....... just go the fuck away. You done burned the bridge.

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »

Paula Deen's cookbook deal cancelled after 10 other companies drop her

The queen of Southern comfort food has officially been thrown off her throne, after 11 companies have ended partnerships with Paula Deen amid the controversy surrounding her. The latest, and perhaps most shocking, is Ballantine Books, publisher of her upcoming cookbook, "Paula Deen’s New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up.”

In a brief statement Friday afternoon, Ballantine announced it was canceling its multibook deal with Deen, including publication of her upcoming cookbook, which was scheduled for release in October 2013. The news comes as a surprise, as the book was pushed to No. 1 on Amazon after a surge of pre-orders from fans.

Walgreens said it was phasing out Deen's products and J.C. Penney, which gave no formal statement, confirmed to NBC News Friday that it would no longer carry Deen-branded merchandise. Sears Holdings announced Friday morning that it would "phase out all products tied to the [Paula Deen] brand. Our members' needs will be given first priority as we work to continue to provide quality cookware in our stores and online."

The Food Network, Smithfield Foods, Caesars Entertainment, Novo Nordisk, Wal-Mart, Target and Home Depot, all of which comprised the majority of her empire, also terminated their partnerships with Deen, who appeared in her first live interview on TODAY Wednesday to discuss the scandal over her use of racial slurs.

QVC's CEO Mike George wrote a blog post Thursday evening saying that, "For now, we have decided to take a pause. Paula won’t be appearing on any upcoming broadcasts and we will phase out her product assortment on our online sales channels over the next few months."

He left the door open for QVC to have a relationship with Deen in the future, going on to say that while customers "may wonder if this is a 'forever' decision," the company believes "people deserve second chances."

Diabetes drug maker Novo Nordisk and Target also distanced themselves from Deen on Thursday.

"Novo Nordisk and Paula Deen have mutually agreed to suspend our patient education activities for now, while she takes time to focus her attention where it is needed,'' the company said in a statement. "Novo Nordisk would like to acknowledge Paula’s involvement in our 'Diabetes in a New Light' campaign, where she has helped make many people aware of type 2 diabetes and the lifestyle changes needed to control this serious disease."

Deen, who has Type 2 diabetes, had been a spokesperson for Novo Nordisk's diabetes drug Victoza.

Target announced that it is ending its relationship with Deen entirely.

"We have made a decision to phase out the Paula Deen merchandise in our stores as well as on Target.com,'' the company said in a statement. "Once the merchandise is sold out, we will not be replenishing inventory."

Wal-Mart and Home Depot announced on Wednesday that they were severing ties with her.

"We are ending our relationship with Paula Deen Enterprises and we will not place new orders beyond those already committed,” Wal-Mart spokesperson Danit Marquardt said on Wednesday. “We will work with suppliers to address existing inventories and agreements."

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, has carried a variety of Paula Deen-branded products including cookware and health and wellness products for several years.

Wednesday evening, a spokesperson for Home Depot confirmed to NBC News that the company will stop carrying Paula Deen-branded items under their kitchen and cookware category.

http://www.today.com/food/qvc-latest-drop-paula-deen-6C10452621

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 02:27:36 AM »

I forgive you............

now just go away.

Sonic
Franchise Member

Our Time Will Come!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »

The thing is, what she said that is the topic of controversy for her, I refuse to use the exact word by the way, happened about 20 to 30 years ago.  People can change a lot in the span of that many years.  Not saying what she did was okay because it is never okay to use that word but how many times does she need to apologize?  She apologized once in public and that should be enough but the public outrage over this has turned this whole thing into a fucking witch hunt.  It has gotten to the point where she is now being shafted.  She has enough real shit to deal with, her diabetes being one of them, no need to pile more and more outrage over her comments especially after you spoke out about it just once. 

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing" -- Sir Edmund Burke
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

RAIDER TILL DEATH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:53 AM »

BULLFUCKINGSHIT.

She's currently being sued by her slaves for mistreatment along with other allegations from her slave run restaurants.

backwoodsraider
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:31:52 AM »

Um.....if you don`t like her....don`t watch. Funny she is more popular today than ever, lol
mbraiders
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »

This is unfortunate for Paula Deen. You have to be sanitized nowadays to be a public figure in these hyper-sensitive times we live in. What is happening to her is a actions of a community that can't even stop themselves from using the 'n' word when referring to each other. If it is such a hateful word that conjures up images of the way black people were treated in the past, then why is it allowed to be used in the black community and the Rap culture. Why don't the black comunity leaders(Sharpton, Jackson, NAACP) campaign against the use of the word? White people use it they are racists. Same with the Gay lobby. If you don't like the word faggot or queer, then police your own community first before destroying the lives of people outside your community who use those words. When you have TV shows called 'Queer as Folks', you shouldn't be offended when someone uses that word in a tweet or something of the sort. These communities should stop using these scenarios as power grabbing, headline grabbing tools and move on."Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".
BC
HOF Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »

BULLFUCKINGSHIT.

She's currently being sued by her slaves for mistreatment along with other allegations from her slave run restaurants.

They suddenly withdrew their indignation lawsuit.  You don't think that the fact that it took them 12 years to get indignant might have something to do with the amount of money Paula became worth during those 12 years?

It was just a shakedown.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: