July 22, 2014, 07:37:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raiders Expected To Move RB Taiwan Jones To Cornerback Next Season  (Read 347 times)
backwoodsraider
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »

They might as well just cut his ass.  When has a player ever moved from RB to Corner after making it to the NFL?  This is bush league and makes our team look stupid.  How in the hell is a RB going to beat out guys who have played Corner their whole lives?  

If Taiwan is able to make our team as a CB this season then what in the hell was he doing playing RB last season?  I thought Reggie was a guru talent evaluator.  

This is embarrassing.

I have a great idea.  Why not give him a chance to play RB and see what happens.

He`s an asset on special teams as a gunner. They are just trying to find other areas he can contribute. He has failed at RB due to ball insecurity and lack of pass blocking. His strength in college was as a CB. Raiders have major needs at CB. They are simply giving him a shot to see what he can do. That`s it....youre acting like he is inked in as a starter already. Good grief, he will probably be released this year but they are just trying to find a spot he can contribute other than as gunner on ST`s. Why are you so embarrassed today with this front office and staff? Fk dude, I`ve been embarrassed for 10 years + but now you are embarrassed? Strange
nutmg1
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »

They might as well just cut his ass.  When has a player ever moved from RB to Corner after making it to the NFL?  This is bush league and makes our team look stupid.  How in the hell is a RB going to beat out guys who have played Corner their whole lives?  

If Taiwan is able to make our team as a CB this season then what in the hell was he doing playing RB last season?  I thought Reggie was a guru talent evaluator.  

This is embarrassing.

I have a great idea.  Why not give him a chance to play RB and see what happens.

He`s an asset on special teams as a gunner. They are just trying to find other areas he can contribute. He has failed at RB due to ball insecurity and lack of pass blocking. His strength in college was as a CB. Raiders have major needs at CB. They are simply giving him a shot to see what he can do. That`s it....youre acting like he is inked in as a starter already. Good grief, he will probably be released this year but they are just trying to find a spot he can contribute other than as gunner on ST`s. Why are you so embarrassed today with this front office and staff? Fk dude, I`ve been embarrassed for 10 years + but now you are embarrassed? Strange

How do you know he can't pass block and has ball security issues?  He has 22 attempts for 94 yards and 1 fumble that was recovered by Oakland in his career.  When Mcfadden went down last season he said no coaches talked to him about the decision to sign Stewart instead of giving him his shot. 

I thought he showed signs of being special in the few chances he got.  All of the sudden after making the cut 2 seasons in a row as a RB he's being moved to CB. 

Your just wrong about his college career.  His strength was as a RB.  He only played 4 games as a CB in college.

College career

Jones signed with Eastern Washington in 2007 as a cornerback and was redshirted. Jones started four games at cornerback in 2008 after missing much of the first part of the season with a broken fibula suffered in the first week of preseason practices.

In 2009, Jones was moved to running back, the position he played in high school. Jones scored on an 87-yard run on his first collegiate carry and went on to earn third team All-America honors from both the Associated Press and The Sports Network. He was also a first team All-Big Sky Conference selection. Jones finished with 1,213 rushing yards in 2009 to rank as the sixth-most in school history. He ranked in the top 10 in FCS in rushing (ninth, 101.1 yards per game), scoring (sixth, 9.50 points per game) and all-purpose yards per game (second, 195.4 yards per game). His 2,345 all-purpose yards (rushing, receiving, returns) were the second-most in school history, and his 19 touchdowns and 114 total points both rank fourth. Jones also returned a kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown against Northern Colorado.

Jones finished the 2010 season with 1,742 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns during Eastern Washington's national championship season. Jones missed the semifinal and championship games with a broken foot suffered in the Eagles' FCS quarterfinals game against North Dakota State. During said game, Jones managed to rush for 230 yards. Jones was named a first team All-American and was also named the Big Sky Conference Co-Offensive Player of the Year.

backwoodsraider
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

This is embarrassing.

How do you know he can't pass block and has ball security issues?  He has 22 attempts for 94 yards and 1 fumble that was recovered by Oakland in his career.  When Mcfadden went down last season he said no coaches talked to him about the decision to sign Stewart instead of giving him his shot. 

I thought he showed signs of being special in the few chances he got.  All of the sudden after making the cut 2 seasons in a row as a RB he's being moved to CB. 

Your just wrong about his college career.  His strength was as a RB.  He only played 4 games as a CB in college.

College career

Jones signed with Eastern Washington in 2007 as a cornerback and was redshirted. Jones started four games at cornerback in 2008 after missing much of the first part of the season with a broken fibula suffered in the first week of preseason practices.

In 2009, Jones was moved to running back, the position he played in high school. Jones scored on an 87-yard run on his first collegiate carry and went on to earn third team All-America honors from both the Associated Press and The Sports Network. He was also a first team All-Big Sky Conference selection. Jones finished with 1,213 rushing yards in 2009 to rank as the sixth-most in school history. He ranked in the top 10 in FCS in rushing (ninth, 101.1 yards per game), scoring (sixth, 9.50 points per game) and all-purpose yards per game (second, 195.4 yards per game). His 2,345 all-purpose yards (rushing, receiving, returns) were the second-most in school history, and his 19 touchdowns and 114 total points both rank fourth. Jones also returned a kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown against Northern Colorado.

Jones finished the 2010 season with 1,742 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns during Eastern Washington's national championship season. Jones missed the semifinal and championship games with a broken foot suffered in the Eagles' FCS quarterfinals game against North Dakota State. During said game, Jones managed to rush for 230 yards. Jones was named a first team All-American and was also named the Big Sky Conference Co-Offensive Player of the Year.

My point was he was drafted in college with a scholarship as a CB so the position isn`t brand new to him. He was moved to RB when 3 or 4 of the existing RB`s were seniors and left them thin thus asking TJ to switch.
Your stats on TJ`s fumbles are misleading as many of his possessions he recovered his own fumble. I`ll look for the article I read showing he bobbled or dropped nearly 50% of the passes, handoffs or pitches he had but many of which he fortunately recovered. There are also several quotes from Raider coaches who discuss the signs of ball insecurity and failed pass blocking in practices as well. Please just look at film and specifically watch the times he is required to block. He either gets destroyed, or misses his assignment entirely. Quotes from coaches also confirm their concern about his blocking as well so I`m not making this up.
I like the guy myself and want him to contribute. He`s above average as a gunner and could be epic as a RB with his quick feet and speed.....but obviously the above concerns are valid at this point. At CB? It will be very tough for him to switch but what if he does succeed? DA will look like a genius with this conversion. It doesnt hurt to try does it?
Limb Reaper
Franchise Member

A new day dawns.....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »

I think one of the articles stated that the coaches did not trust him to hold onto the ball. This tells me that he had a lot of problems with ball security in practice. Hell, even Jones is pushing for this switch. If the player himself thinks it's a good idea, then it probably is.

Reading between the lines, I think Jones realizes that he is on the bubble and is willing to do anything it takes to stay on the roster. IMO, the more "hungry" players in camp, the better. In years past we've had too many self-satisfied entitlement guys who knew they weren't getting cut. That shit is over.

Running backs are easy enough to come by, and Jones was only a 4th round pick. Whether he succeeds or fails, this move isn't worth fretting over. It certainly doesn't make us look "dumb".

When life gives you lemons...just shut up and eat your lemons.
TheMadStork
Franchise Member

How much sleep do ya need to play 3 hours of ball?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

We need a couple veteran CB's like Spencer and Bartell only better versions this year.  We cant field rookies at key spots like OL and CB and expect to be dominant without a lil experience to go along with them.

There's a new sheriff in town and his name is McKenzie Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: