October 26, 2014, 01:05:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packers cut DB Woodson; Raiders should begin pursuit  (Read 364 times)
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »

Now that the Green Bay Packers made official what was speculated on most of the day, the Raiders should contact Woodson’s agent and see if there’s any interest in Woodson rejoining the Raiders.

Of course, it might be a futile exercise, given Woodson’s agent, Carl Poston, said that Woodson wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, and the Raiders seem much farther away from that than most other teams.

Still, it’s worth a shot. Woodson might be intrigued about finishing his NFL career with the team that drafted him in 1998 and exposed him to his first taste of postseason success.

Woodson joined a Raiders team fresh from a 4-12 season before his arrival. They were in the playoffs three seasons later, with Woodson playing a huge role at cornerback.

Naturally, the Raiders were 4-12 last season, too, and seem just as far away from being a legitimate contender as they were when Woodson first joined the Raiders.

Cost also would be an issue for a Raiders team that isn’t as flush with salary-cap space as other teams. Further, it’s unlikely that Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie would overspend to be reunited with Woodson.

In November, McKenzie talked about how difficult it was his first year with the Raiders, given their salary-cap constraints.

“I remember talking to Ted Thompson,” McKenzie said of the Packers general manager. “His rookie year, he was able to get Charles Woodson. I would have liked to have done that.”
Well, now McKenzie can make that happen.

Signing Woodson would allow the Raiders to leave Michael Huff at cornerback and give them something they have lacked for numerous seasons: an impact player on defense.

The Raiders need far more help than Woodson can provide, especially this late in his career. Still, McKenzie has to start somewhere. Bringing in a player as well respected and talented as Woodson would be viewed as just that kind of start.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2013/02/15/packers-cut-db-woodson-raiders-should-begin-pursuit/

FIRE DENNIS ALLEN/ (thank you)/ FIRE REGGIE MCKENZIE/GET NEW OWNERSHIP
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

Thought I'd post this here because it does have more than a certain amount of intrigue.

Bringing him in at a low cost opens up options for us when we don't have very many.

Of course he may not want to play here, but I don't see many teams opening up the check book for a guy well passed his prime.

TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »

Does Charles Woodson fit in AFC West?

Woodson is 36 and has been dealing with injuries. But the future Hall of Famer is expected to draw interest because he is still considered a solid player. Let's look to see if Woodson, who spent his first eight pro years with the Raiders, could fit in the AFC West:

Denver: Woodson will likely want to remain with a contending team and Denver could use some help at safety. So, there is reason to think this match could work. But teams must be careful about getting too much age on the field defensively. Cornerback Champ Bailey will be 35 in June. On one hand, having two future Hall of Famers who can still play in the same secondary has to be tempting. But having two players with the combined age of 71 in the same secondary has to be a bit alarming, too. But if Denver is convinced Woodson can help win a Super Bowl in 2014, it's worth the risk.

Kansas City: There is a connection here. New Kansas City general manager John Dorsey came from Green Bay. Finding ways to get the young Eric Berry and Woodson on the field together would be intriguing. But Kendrick Lewis is a nice player, and I’m not sure Woodson is the missing link in Kansas City. If it happened, it’d be fine. But I don’t see this as a great fit.

Oakland: A lot of Oakland fans want this reunion to occur. Yes, Woodson could help Oakland at safety (it could keep Michael Huff at cornerback) and he knows Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie from their Green Bay days. It would have to come with Woodson wanting to return to Oakland instead of a team that is ready to contend now and likely at a price less than he would get elsewhere. The question would be does he want to?

San Diego: The Chargers have long been looking for the perfect partner for standout free safety Eric Weddle. A healthy Wooodson and Weddle would, no doubt, be a top-notch pair of safeties. Woodson would also solidify a nice defense. But are the Chargers enough of a contender for Woodson? Would they pay for Woodson with more pressing needs on offense?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/54910/does-charles-woodson-fit-in-afc-west

Raider 8
Franchise Member

Commitment to Excellence

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »

Yes we should bring him back, I'm biased, but dudes a fucking legend and better than anything we got right now. I'll overpay for him. I'd love for him to come back for a couple seasons. Just his intangibles would be worth it.
Ravensong
All Star Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »

No! And not because he left here either. Are we or are we not going to rebuild this team with solid young talent? No way we get Woodson for a song and we can't afford anything else.

I will be very disapointed if we go down this road again! No!

Draft, a trade or two maybe, a choice FA that fits our concepts of youth and love of the game and toughness.
Limb Reaper
Franchise Member

FUCK ME

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:54:27 PM »

I just don't see him signing with ANY rebuilding team - including the Raiders.

When life gives you lemons...just shut up and eat your lemons.
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »

Unless .......... he wants to play in Cali.

gossamer138
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »

Just don't see him at his age starting over with a team in such a rebuilding stage. I'll be the first to call him going to Denver where if he was there last year no one gets behind him and they make it to the superbowl. They are a contender and he's used to cold weather by now in greenbay and Denver will be willing to pay him that money to be leader on d.
Automatic
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »

If Dashon Goldston isn't resigned across the bay, don't be surprised if Woodson ends up a 40whiner. He's already said he wants to play for a contender and if he does miss Cali, this would be the most ideal situation for him.

I'd love to have Woodson back in silver and black but it is a very long shot.

Seabass will shatter the longest field goal record this season.
Raider 8
Franchise Member

Commitment to Excellence

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »

Unfortunately you're right.
Limb Reaper
Franchise Member

FUCK ME

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

If Dashon Goldston isn't resigned across the bay, don't be surprised if Woodson ends up a 40whiner. He's already said he wants to play for a contender and if he does miss Cali, this would be the most ideal situation for him.

I'd love to have Woodson back in silver and black but it is a very long shot.

That would be less than ideal. I hope is doesn't happen.

When life gives you lemons...just shut up and eat your lemons.
ElevatorRaidersfanPA
HOF Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Unfortunately you're right.
hes already stated he wants to go to a contender

"Fuck The Tuck Rule"  Still bitter and proud!
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

We'll be contending next year.

ElevatorRaidersfanPA
HOF Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »

lol he want someone who's contending for the Super Bowl.  Not the +1 pick in next years draft =)

"Fuck The Tuck Rule"  Still bitter and proud!
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »

lol he want someone who's contending for the Super Bowl.  Not the +1 pick in next years draft =)

Oh sure. Get all specific and shit.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: