November 21, 2014, 09:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greg Olson new O.C.  (Read 890 times)
ElevatorRaidersfanPA
HOF Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

Olson might not be the sexiest of picks, but as long as he fits the personnel and works well with head coach Dennis Allen and the rest of the staff, Oakland should be improved on offense in 2013 as it tries to build from a disappointing 4-12 season in 2012.
its definatly not a not a sexy hire.  Dude better do well.   Or we will be having this conversation again next year.

"Fuck The Tuck Rule"  Still bitter and proud!
TheMadStork
Franchise Member

How much sleep do ya need to play 3 hours of ball?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

The Raiders obviously didn’t focus on Olson’s work last year as quarterbacks coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, as Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne had two of the worst passer ratings in the NFL.

Maybe Gabbert and Henne just suck?

There's a new sheriff in town and his name is McKenzie Smiley
TheMadStork
Franchise Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »

Romo for LB Coach and Wiz for OL.

Id give anything to get Waufle back for the DL.

TheMadStork
Franchise Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »

Not impressed at all.  Its been 7 or 8 years since hes had any success I think.

How come even with Reggie, we cant get any decent coaches in here?

This sucks IMHO.

Our only hope is we have a great draft and snag a stud or 2 in free agency or we are screwed.  Either we get players who can overcome our coaching or lack thereof Cheesy  or were screwed again.

1 thing is for sure.  If we dont switch back to power blocking, I dont think anything will make a difference as we will not put up points.
heres a question.  And it's not meant to be an incediary comment so don't blast me to hard over it.  Are u sure we are still going to be good at Power blocking scheme?  How many guys do we still have who are power and how many Gus are ZBS?  I remember we have traded some of the depth guys like Bruce Cambell etc.  Mc'quisten and gallery went to Seattle.  Yes I know it wasn't last year I'm just trying to remember.  So I guess that's the question would we still excell at it?  Kinda seems to me personel wise we are in between right now.  Something like half the guys are good at this and half the guys good at that.  You know what you get with a team that's half good at something?  Nothing.  Pick something and stick with it.  Just saying.  We're never going to be good at anything if we keep flip flopping

Not incinediary at all.  I think only Brisiel is a ZBS guy and its easier to change to Power from ZBS than visa versa.

varaider
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »

barf2
Automatic
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

Greg's hiring came out of nowhere, as there weren't any reports of him even being interviewed for the job. One theory is that Jon Gruden, who had been talking with the Raiders quite frequently, gave the team his glowing recommendation. Olson was Gruden's OC at Tampa Bay.

The writing is on the wall, Gruden is building his staff before he gets hired next year.    Grin Wink

Seabass will shatter the longest field goal record this season.
nutmg1
Franchise Member

Raider Forum Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 11:40:03 PM »

This sucks IMHO.

Our only hope is we have a great draft and snag a stud or 2 in free agency or we are screwed.  Either we get players who can overcome our coaching or lack thereof Cheesy  or were screwed again.

1 thing is for sure.  If we dont switch back to power blocking, I dont think anything will make a difference as we will not put up points.

You are giving credit to Reggie with no proof that he's earned it.  Why would a good coach in the league care about RM?  What has he proven? 
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 12:36:58 AM »

BY THE NUMBERS: A LOOK AT NEW RAIDERS OC GREG OLSON

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/by_the_numbers_a_look_at_new_raiders_oc_greg_olson/12703615

FIRE DENNIS ALLEN/ (thank you)/ FIRE REGGIE MCKENZIE/GET NEW OWNERSHIP
TIBERIUS
Administrator
HOF Member

FUCK YOU

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »

Jaguars, Buccaneers bloggers lend insight on Greg Olson

Raiders new offensive coordinator, Greg Olson, was the Jaguars quarterbacks coach last season. Prior to that he had been the offensive coordinator with the Buccaneers for three seasons (2009-11).

Few would have a better idea of his performance as a coach and coordinator than a writer who covered every game as well as all the players he coached in those stops.

We start with Alfie Crow from Jaguars blog Big Cat Country who gives us some insight into Olson's work with the quarterbacks.

"Olson joined the Jaguars last season as assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach under Mike Mularkey," said Crow. "Olson quickly made a difference improving Blaine Gabbert's overall mechanics, especially his footwork and his balance in his drop back. Some of that translated to the game, but obviously Gabbert didn't seem to improve as much as most would have liked. Olson was a coach the Jaguars were said to have wanted to retain however, but were not going to block any moves. I do know that in the past as an offensive coordinator Olson has employed a zone-blocking scheme and has seen big years from Steven Jackson and LaGarrette Blount."

Next I asked Sander Philipse from the Buccaneers blog, Bucs Nation.

"First, he's mainly a West Coast Offense guy," said Philipse. "He has some influences from other offenses, most notably some of Mike Martz, and the Bucs always talked about a run-heavy, throw-deep offense -- but that never really came out on the field.

"With the Bucs, he had a few weird staples. He'd run really badly-blocked end-arounds with Arrelious Benn, which were routinely disastrous and never gained much yardage. He'd have one or two deep shots off play action per game.

"As for a run game, he never seemed to commit to either zone or power runs and ran a mixture of both.

"Slow starts were an issue throughout his tenure, and the Bucs didn't score a single point in the first quarter of 25 of 48 of his games. They managed to score 7 or more points in the first quarter just 10 times. The offense would often get going later on in games, but the early going was always a problem."

What Philipse said about Olson is very interesting because he does not have the reputation as being a West Coast Offense type coach. He certainly didn't run that type of offense while with the Rams in 06-07.

It seems to me, he tried to tailor his scheme to fit the personnel he had on the Buccaneers. That is what the Raiders are hoping is the case.

And I hate to say it, but both descriptions sound very much like they are talking about Greg Knapp last season. Great QB coach, West Coast Offense, mix of zone and power blocking scheme, slow starter, Lack of long passes. The knocks with regard to play calling from fan comments I read from when Olson was still OC in Tampa Bay were uncanny in their similarity to Knapp as well.

The main difference is in the track record with players who thrived in his system. Carson Palmer, Darren McFadden, and Marcel Reece are three such players who should do well with Olson. That could make all the difference. We shall see.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/1/19/3894980/jacksonville-jaguars-tampa-bay-buccaneers-insight-oakland-raiders-offensive-coordinator-greg-olson

FIRE DENNIS ALLEN/ (thank you)/ FIRE REGGIE MCKENZIE/GET NEW OWNERSHIP
The one
HOF Member

"The only easy day was yesterday"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 01:26:30 AM »

I have bitten my lip long enough. Now, I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect it, might not always agree with it, but respect it none the less. For the last 10 years we have been fucking bad. Al (RIP), was trying everything is his power to win a title for the upcoming season. (Follow along here, because I know what you are thinking, thats what NFL teams do). I remember them interviewing Shanahan prior to his first playoff game. He was telling the interviewer about when he waas hired to coach the Redskins. He stated he told the GM straight up if he was looking for a one year turn around, then he was not his guy. He said that he need 3-5 years to build his team with his philosophy and vision, and thats what he needed. He was hired. The Redskins knew they needed to be rebuilt, and Shanahan knew it and they both understood what needed to be done.

I offer to you, as fans, thats what AL never wanted to do. He wanted that "one year fix", and he wanted it right now. Bad draft picks in the wrong spots, over playing the wrong players and never letting a head coach actually build a team that incorporated THEIR offense and defensive philosophies with the players needed to carry them out. With AL it was an attempt to plug and play and control from above. How the hell do you expect a team to be consistant with that style, its not and it didn't.

Now, I know we as fans get pissed having one bad season after another for the last 10 years, but as i have grown older and matured, I realize that this needs to take time. Al did his thing the way he wanted it done the last 10 years and it FAILED, really really bad! All of this time people were wondering as he got older, why doesn't he get a GM and let the Raiders run like an NFL franchise is supposed too? But he refused because he thought he could buy a Super Bowl with huge contracts from players past their prime or players just looking for a payday. He drafted athletes over football players year after year, and they did nothing, and we all bitched and complained.

Now we have a GM, that was recommended by JOHN MADDEN AND RON WOLF, and we all celebrated the day he came aboard. We got what we wanted after all of this time. He admitted at his press conference the number of salary cap issues the Raiders had and admitted the lack pf draft picks we had because of the Palmer trade. Yet, people are bashing his draft picks and questioning his "evaluator of talent skills", (which by the way all NFL insiders complimented< GREEN BAY ANYONE?) because all of the draft picks didn't pan out. News flash to all football fans, MANY AND MAJORITY OF NFL DRAFT PICKS DON'T PAN OUT, ESP IN THE LATER ROUNDS!. Burris?? Streater? Maybe we should look at the bright side and feel good that a 4th round LBer and and un-drafted player mad impacts. Bilduki looked alright in limited action, so lets wait and see what he turns into. Bergstrom? The whole O line was a mess with the zone crap this year and RM gets hammered for drafting him? The draft "experts" all said he was a sold pick (inlike DHB, ROUTT, JR etc etc.)

Give the dude some slack, he has been here a YEAR! He has 10 years worth of shit to clean up! Then, all I hear this morning from  board members concerning the Offensive Cord hire is UNIMPRESSED, SAME OLD SHIT, WHY HIM, WTF? Dude hasn't even called a play for us yet and most of the forums members already have him fired in 2014, REALLY? Did you read his bio? Coached Drew Bress at Purdue, Steven Jackson and Blunt had career rushing years under his play calling, Josh Freeman played very well under his watch. This dude has had more success than KNAPP! and dudes are complaining! So whatr he was with Jacksonville, their QBs were horrible! The whole team was almost as bas as ours! Holy shit the gloom and doom around the Offensive Cord hire is incredible. The RM bashing is fucking incredible! WE WERE IN SALARY CAP HELL! Seymour, Routt, Huff, Kelly, JR were all GROSSLY OVER PAID! This is not  his fault! Bad draft picks, WE HAD TO WAIT UNTIL THE 3RD FUCKING ROUND!!!

This was NOT going to be fixed in ONE FUCKING SEASON! This is a LONG TERM PROBLEM! At least 2-3 years, at least 2-3 drafts. Lets wait until HE GETS HIS OWN TEAM TOGETHER before we call fo his head! Lets get some players and develop a SYSTEM and WATCH IT GROW like other teams do! Bilichek for fuck sake was on the Cleveland Brown coaching them to a 36-44 record with ONE WINNING YEAR! Now he is the winningest coach in the NFL. WE NEED TO REVAMP THIS MESS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! For the fans who say, "I have been patient long enough, I want to win, I feel you, but that was because AL fucking set us back the last decade. I admire him for all he did, BUT he lost his way the last decade and fucked us all up! Thats just the way it is, no sugar coating. All he needed to do was to hire a GM and a real scouting department, and let them do their jobs, and MAYBE WE are not having this conversation.

Mark talked to Madden and Wolf and he was given RM's name in order to fix this cluster fuck, and thats what it was/is, a cluster fuck. WE ARE RE-BUILDING, I know some hate that word, BUT THATS WHAT WE ARE DOING. All the NFL experts, news reporters and so one knew one thing, AL drove his team into the ground as he got older, and now we are paying the price. Its going to be a rough couple of years, but this needs to get fixed and NO one, RM or otherwise can/could fix it in a single season.

"The Marines are looking for a few good men, unfortunately you ain't it". Clint Eastwood, Heart break ridge.
The one
HOF Member

"The only easy day was yesterday"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »

This sucks IMHO.

Our only hope is we have a great draft and snag a stud or 2 in free agency or we are screwed.  Either we get players who can overcome our coaching or lack thereof Cheesy  or were screwed again.

1 thing is for sure.  If we dont switch back to power blocking, I dont think anything will make a difference as we will not put up points.

You are giving credit to Reggie with no proof that he's earned it.  Why would a good coach in the league care about RM?  What has he proven? 
Proved he walked into a salary cap hell with no draft picks until the 3rd round? Really?

"The Marines are looking for a few good men, unfortunately you ain't it". Clint Eastwood, Heart break ridge.
TBrown4ever
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

So we had Norv in for an interview and we hire this nobody?

Allen's a retard.
Raidersmojo
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »

Allen's a retard.

Agreed!

He hired a duplicate of Knapp...

I would have rather had Martz over this clown.
goalax13
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »

Allen's a retard.

Norv turned down our interview...didn't want to work here.
CB
Franchise Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

I want to be optimistic about this hire, but there are a ton of red flags to me.

If I'm Dennis Allen, I know that this hire is a make or break deal. If it doesn't pan out, I'm looking for work next January. I'm looking to hire a guy who will be able to light a fire under the offense and get the maximum out of a group that took a huge step back last season. I can't wait for a guy to get his players 'comfortable' with his system or who's looking to 'build for the future. I need to win some damn games and I can't afford to sit back and have my offense sputter.

So the guy who Allen hires is an OC who's never been in the top half of the league in total offense when he was calling the shots. He's put all his eggs in the basket of a guy who barely improved any of the weak offenses he took over. Did the teams that Olson called the plays for all suck just because of him? No. Several of them had little to no talent at some important skill positions. He did do some nice things in Tampa developing their QB. And in St. Louis, the Rams offense fell apart when Bulger couldn't stay healthy.

He may turn out to be a really good OC. He may even be up to the task here. But, if I need to turn it around quickly to save my job, he's not the guy I'd hang my hat on.

So now, the question in my head is 'Did Allen hire Olson because he thought he was the best available candidate or was it was because he was the only guy who was interested in the job?' If it's because guys like Whisenhunt, Morningweh and Shurmur weren't interested, then we've got bigger problems than I thought.

Raider fan in lamb land

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: